Send data over ethernet, 3 beaglebone's

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
graceyj20

Send data over ethernet, 3 beaglebone's

Post by graceyj20 »

I'm new to the beagle bone (and linux for that matter) but think this may be a great platform for a project.

I'd like to setup a network of beagle bones (3 or more). One would act as a central controller and web server/interface and the others would monitor sensors and have outputs to assorted devices.

Are there any tutorials on how to network multiple beaglebone's together over a regular ethernet network (routers/switches). I've found many articles that show how to find the BBB mac address so I could assign static IP addresses from the routers DHCP but once that's in place... trying to figure out the coding part of how they communicate/send data to each other.

If someone could point me in the right direction it'd be much appreciated. Background: I have knowledge of C programming (took 2 classes) and have done a couple involved control projects on the arduino (couple hundred lines of code each) for different class projects but I'm not a programming or networking expert.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Send data over ethernet, 3 beaglebone's

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

There are hundreds of options for passing information between computers over a TCP/IP network, but HTTP is a popular and flexible option.

You can either run a full-scale webserver on the central computer or build an application-specific server with a framework like Node.js.

Take a look at our CC3000 tutorials over in the Learning System for examples:

https://learn.adafruit.com/search?q=cc3000

You can ignore or skim the details of making the CC3000 itself work, but the parts that involve passing messages between two machines will be relevant.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Beagle Bone & Adafruit Beagle Bone products”