Cannot use Remote Debugging in Eclipse CDT Luna with BBB (De

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rajbharath

Cannot use Remote Debugging in Eclipse CDT Luna with BBB (De

Post by rajbharath »

Hi guys,

I am newbie and am facing problem with remote debugging in both automatic and manual remote launch while I am able to build project in Eclipse and execute it in my Beaglebone black Rev C. I have gone through many posts but nothing worked out after several days of trying.

I have installed Eclipse CDT Luna in Windows 7 (64 bit) PC and debian wheezy (dated 2014-05-14) in BBB. Kernel version is 3.8.13-bone50. I followed the link http://jkuhlm.bplaced.net/hellobone/. As in the last part of step 7, when I configure 'Run configurations' to execute the binary in BBB by creating new configuration under 'C/C++ Remote application', 'hellobone Debug'comes in default. So, I had to change the name as 'hellobone Default' and make sure the field 'C/C++ Application' has 'Debug/hellobone' or else it says that program does not exist. But in the end, I am able to run the file successfully in the BBB as the output in the link.

1) Next is the Automatic Remote Debugging. I followed the step 8 in the link and when I debug, I get the following output in the console:

echo $PWD'>'

chmod ugo+x /home/debian/BBBTest/hellobone;gdbserver :2345 /home/debian/BBBTest/hellobone;exit

root@beaglebone:~#
echo $PWD'>'
/root>
root@beaglebone:~#
root@beaglebone:~# chmod ugo+x /home/debian/BBBTest/hellobone;gdbserver :2345 /home/debian/BBBTest/hellobone;exit
logout

Also a dialog box mentioning that "Could not start gdbserver on the remote host. See console output for more details." Also, I could find gdbserver installed in BBB and also I gave '/usr/bin/gdbserver' in the gdbserver settings of the Debugger in Eclipse but I got the same error.

2) Then I tried the Manual Remote launch as in the Figure 3 of the link http://hertaville.com/2013/01/11/remote-debugging/ eventhough it is for Rasperry PI.

I typed 'sudo gdbserver 192.168.1.36:12345 /home/debian/BBBTest/hellobone' in the Eclipse terminal and the process did not create as below (where 192.168.1.36 is PC IP address)

root@beaglebone:/# sudo gdbserver 192.168.1.36:12345 /home/debian/BBBTest/hellobone
root@beaglebone:/#

Also tried the command 'sudo gdbserver 192.168.1.36:12345 hellobone' and nothing happened.

Then, I changed the debugger into Manual Remote Debugging launcher with settings similar to Figure 7 of the above link eventhough the prior gdbserver process was not created as mentioned above and I got the below error I think this is due to the non-creation of the prior gdbserver process .

Error in final launch sequence
Failed to execute MI command:
-target-select remote 192.168.7.2:9999
Error message from debugger back end:192.168.7.2:9999: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond

Also, I got the same problem in my Debian wheezy OS installed in my PC where the gdbserver process also was not able to create.I am stuck in this for several days and I hope someone can help me solve this.. Many Thanks!!

Regards,
Raj

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Cannot use Remote Debugging in Eclipse CDT Luna with BBB

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I'm afraid we don't have any in-house experts with Eclipse.

paulf8080

Post by paulf8080 »

Try "man gdbserver"
I think you give the name of the program to debug and the port.

rajbharath

Post by rajbharath »

@adafruit_support_mike: Please suggest me other remote debugging tools (which also deals with GPIO pins) for BBB that you have used already. Thanks mike!

@ PaulF8080: I think I have already followed the gdbserver command by TCP as per the 'man gdbserver' as stated in my first post. Please let me know if I am wrong. Thanks!

paulf8080

Post by paulf8080 »

rajbharath wrote:@adafruit_support_mike: Please suggest me other remote debugging tools (which also deals with GPIO pins) for BBB that you have used already. Thanks mike!

@ PaulF8080: I think I have already followed the gdbserver command by TCP as per the 'man gdbserver' as stated in my first post. Please let me know if I am wrong. Thanks!
My browser split the command into 2 lines and I missed the program name part, sorry.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Beagle Bone & Adafruit Beagle Bone products”