Suggestions to implement data transmission through Wifi in B

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rajbharath

Suggestions to implement data transmission through Wifi in B

Post by rajbharath »

Hi guys,

I have connected my BBB to PC (laptop) through ssh using USB. Also, I have successfully measured and displayed temperature sensor values in the terminal. Thanks to your tutorial.

But now, I would like to transmit and display the temperature values from BBB to PC using Wifi by adhoc (without any access point). I can create an ad-hoc connection by changing /etc/network/interfaces in BBB but I am not sure how to proceed further (especially the protocols) to transmit and display the values in PC terminal.

I searched in google but I am not able to find a proper answer. It would be very helpful if you could suggest some links or information. I have Debian wheezy with lxde installed in my PC and Debian wheezy Kernel 3.8.13 in my BBB. Also, I have TP-LINK TL-WN722N wifi dongle for the BBB.

Many Thanks!!

paulf8080

Re: Suggestions to implement data transmission through Wifi

Post by paulf8080 »

Android calls it "wifi direct" so I googled "wifi direct debian" and got:

https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/AdHoc

rajbharath

Post by rajbharath »

Thanks Paul for the reply.. As said in my previous post, I can establish adhoc link between PC and BBB using wifi but I want to know the approach to send particular data from BBB to PC and plot a graph in PC. I hope I am clear..

paulf8080

Post by paulf8080 »

I guess there dozens of ways, wget, curl, ftp, scp, rcp etc. If you have a program on the BBB that opens a window with the data. you can display that window on the PC by doing your ssh with the -Y option on the PC and then starting that program from the PC. I may be missing your point, I'm thinking.

paulf8080

Post by paulf8080 »

Another guess. :-)

If you have program called X on the BBB that outputs the current values, your program on the PC can capture the data from an "ssh user@ip X" command.

jlbeck

Post by jlbeck »

If you only want to view the data then I suggest using javascript and the built in bonescript with webserver on the BBB.
See Simon Monk's book for details.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Beagle Bone & Adafruit Beagle Bone products”