7" 720p Display with Speakers (product 1667) with Loose Part

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
fabioe

7" 720p Display with Speakers (product 1667) with Loose Part

Post by fabioe »

Hi,

We just purchased a 7" 720p display with speakers (product 1667). The problem with this monitor is that it rattles; that means, a part or parts are loose inside. (I am posting this in this forum as per request from Adafruit support.)

We need this monitor to connect it to a Beaglebone Black through the HDMI port.

What should we do with this monitor?

Your advise will be greatly appreciated,

FabioE

adafruit2

Re: 7" 720p Display with Speakers (product 1667) with Loose

Post by adafruit2 »

Hiya, its a piece of plastic that gets pushed in during assembly, *not electronic component or anything to be worried about*

fabioe

Post by fabioe »

Hi adafruit2,

Thanks for the reply. We already sent the display back to Adafruit for an exchange through an RMA,

FabioE

CDOMARINE

Post by CDOMARINE »

FabioE, did the new display also have the same problem or was the issue isolated to just the first display that you received?

fabioe

Post by fabioe »

Hi CDOMARINE,

We exchanged one display and purchased another one. The two new displays also have the same problem with the loose parts. In both displays, both speakers are loose due to the broken single stand-offs (see arrows in the attached picture.)
LooseParts.jpg
LooseParts.jpg (182.66 KiB) Viewed 481 times
FabioE

CDOMARINE

Post by CDOMARINE »

FabioE thanks for the response. I experienced the exact same situation with my display, where both speakers were broken at the mount brackets. ADAFRUIT assures me the problem of broken speakers does not exist in the LCD display units currently in their stock on their shelf. See my posts at: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=76542

Either they are used to playing maracas at work, or their packaging methods are amateur at best. I am going to link to this topic in my post.

Thanks again,

-Dan

fabioe

Post by fabioe »

Dan,

We think there are two problems with these displays. First, the mechanical design to hold the speakers is flawed. Each speaker has two tabs or mount brackets on both ends. The rear case has only one stand-off per speaker--not two. Second, the vendor dismisses the claims asserting falsely "its a piece of plastic that gets pushed in during assembly, *not electronic component or anything to be worried about*". It is not a piece of plastic, but two electronic components (speakers) that are loose banging the PCB, the back of the LCD, and the wires around. Unfortunately, neither are manufacturer nor vendor taking pro-active measures to fix the problem.

We are needing a number of these small HDMI displays/monitors for one of our projects using Beaglebone Blacks. We have not found yet another plausible option as this product 1667. However, I checked your postings related with this situation, and you mentioned that you found an alternative unit at a local store. We will greatly appreciate you sharing detailed information about said alternative,

Fabio

CDOM

Post by CDOM »

fabioe,

I found another supplier that offered a better display. I purchased a Delvcam display with speakers from B&H Photo and Video, in New York:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... sku=692424

Pricing may be higher than Adafruit, but the display comes packaged with power supplies (both DC and AC adapters), HDMI cable, SKS cable and adapters to connect VGA or RCA and USB power. This translates to better value if you need to purchase those items and cables anyway, not to mention much better customer service.

I also purchased a portable battery pack from Amazon (XT Power 1000mAh) to power the unit, making it 100% portable. The display draws 6W of power on HDMI source selection.

I'm posting from this account as they promptly banned my other account for voicing my strong disappointment in receiving another replacement 1667 display with broken speakers, again. You either take it "as-is" or leave it with these guys... The Delvcam is also much better quality. We ordered 15 displays.

Good luck with your project,

-Dan

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Beagle Bone & Adafruit Beagle Bone products”