Failing to obtain IP address

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
patricksanford

Failing to obtain IP address

Post by patricksanford »

I'm attempting to connect to my Wifi network using the Ourlink Wifi dongle that Adafruit sells. I know the dongle is working because I'm able to see a list of the available networks in Wicd with the GUI, but whenever I attempt to connect it fails to obtain an IP address. I've reset my router, and every other device is working fine, so I'm thinking this is something to do with the BBB. I'm not wanting to use a static IP address, and since I'm going through the GUI I don't see why there would be any kind of an issue. My Wifi network is unsecured, and doesn't use a password (this is intentional). Any help? I've previously been able to connect my BBB to the Internet through USB network sharing. In order to get that set up I was running the command sudo /sbin/route add default gw 192.168.7.1 while having my BBB connected to my laptop with a USB cable. I'm trying to transition my BBB to be a stand-alone system that won't rely on my laptop for connectivity. I have a keyboard, mouse, monitor, and Ourlink wifi dongle connected to the BBB with a powered USB hub. Everything else is working except getting an IP address from the router.

EDIT: I've also tested the BBB against another router with the same result.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Failing to obtain IP address

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

That's strange..

As a benchmark, have you tried connecting with the wifi dongle plugged into some other computer? It's possible that the dongle can see the WAP but can't get a good enough connection to do a full DHCP address assignment.

patricksanford

Post by patricksanford »

adafruit_support_mike wrote:That's strange..

As a benchmark, have you tried connecting with the wifi dongle plugged into some other computer? It's possible that the dongle can see the WAP but can't get a good enough connection to do a full DHCP address assignment.
I tried plugging the dongle in to my laptop, and Windows failed to pick it up. I got an error saying it couldn't install the software for the device the first time, and nothing sense. The machine detects that a USB device has been plugged in (plays the chime sound over the speakers), and then does nothing. As far as the WAP connection strength is concerned, when I tested the dongle against the second router it was literally right next to it. Could the dongle be defective? If that's the case then how do I go about getting a replacement?

patricksanford

Post by patricksanford »

I'm getting a little annoyed at the slow response to my inquiries. It now appears that the device I purchased is defective, and I've gotten no information about how to get a replacement. On top of that, when I look at the Contact Us page I'm just directed back to the forums.The device doesn't work properly with my BBB, and not at all with a laptop running Windows. I'd like to continue purchasing items from Adafruit, but wonder if that's going to be such a good idea if you're not going to stand behind your products.

patricksanford

Post by patricksanford »

Still no reply?

adafruit_support_mike

Sorry, this one fell below the end of the screen.

It sounds like the adapter is dead.

Send a note to [email protected] with a link to this thread and your order number. The folks there will get you a replacement wifi adapter.

patricksanford

Post by patricksanford »

adafruit_support_mike wrote:Sorry, this one fell below the end of the screen.

It sounds like the adapter is dead.

Send a note to [email protected] with a link to this thread and your order number. The folks there will get you a replacement wifi adapter.
Thank you. I've done that. About how long does it normally take them to respond?

adafruit_support_mike

I think their average response time is about 15 minutes. If you haven't seen a response from them, check your spam folder to make sure it hasn't been routed there.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Beagle Bone & Adafruit Beagle Bone products”