Anyone using 4GB/8GB Micro Drives?

Minty so good. Minty so tasty.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Manny

Anyone using 4GB/8GB Micro Drives?

Post by Manny »

I'm just getting started on my Minty trek, and am starting to gather parts. I picked up a 512MB CF card (only $20!!! I love black-friday deals) but was wondering if anyone has tried out the much-larger capacity 4GB/6GB CF drives that are actually Hard Disks, versus flash memory.

ut20xx

Post by ut20xx »

You could use a micro drive (CF card hard drive) on the Minty, but it would use a lot more power than a regular CF card. So you would end up with around 3 hours of battery life vs. 10+ with a regular flash card.

The only way around this would be the use of a buffer (usually RAM), to play the music off of, so you wont have the power hungry hard drive running for more than a few seconds, which would give you about 10 hours of play time. But that would be quite a challenge.

Also, since the Minty firmware only supports FAT16, you can't use any cards larger than 2GB.

Manny

Post by Manny »

Thanks. Another option would be to use the NAND based CF cards which now go up to 8GB and have virtually the same power consumption rate as the lower capactiy cards. Totally forgot about the FAT16 2GB limit, though...

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyMP3”