Which MP3 chip might miniminty use?

Minty so good. Minty so tasty.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
chaostic-offline

Which MP3 chip might miniminty use?

Post by chaostic-offline »

I'm asking so that I can plan ahead and start looking for similar, but dedicated chips. I rather have my headphone amp seperate, and maybe even my dac (Way after I build the standard, and the cMoy headphone amp version).

I expect that it is either the vlsi VS1001 or VS1011 as they are the ones with the biggest smd profiles (soic28), and since they recommend the VS1011 for new products, would I be right in saying that it is?

My only worry with using one of those chips in the first place is really availability and price. A search on findchips.com showed none of the usual suppliers had any. The manufacture is also outside of the US (A bit of bias on my part). The only way to get a reasonable price (10.00 USD) is to buy 100 at 10.00 for a 1000.00 total, and I do not believe there would be enough people to go in on a group buy for that, and I do not believe you (Limor) have the extra funding to make that purchase, especially when its a risk of people not buying the kits. Individually, the pieces would cost 20.00, plus 5 dollar handling fee for under 10 pieces, and the shipping, making the chip well more expensive then all the ther parts, save maybe the board in the same situation (1 board bought)

Please correct me if I went off on a tangent..

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

yeah i just got my VS1011B samples. i dont know if i'll buy 100...but its much easier to work with (although i am not sure what their DAC is so the quality might not be as high...)
and the STA013 + DAC is close enough to $20 to justify using this chip instead. we'll see. if theres enough demand i might buy 100 chip...

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyMP3”