I2C LED matrix on the Raspberry Pi
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

I2C LED matrix on the Raspberry Pi

by rpural on Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:48 am

Since the example code for the LED matrix seems to be for the Ardunio only, is there any documentation of the I2C protocol to drive the 902 bi-color 8x8 bi-color LED matrix?

Or, is there documentation on where the Wire.h library can be found? This is the first stumbling block to compiling the code on the Raspberry Pi....
rpural

Re: I2C LED matrix on the Raspberry Pi

by adafruit on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:27 am

its just not that simple - the wheezy distribution doesn't even have i2c enabled on it, and arduino code wont compile on a linux machine. we may have example code at some point, but there is no ETA!
adafruit

by rpural on Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:49 pm

Actually, I2C support is compiled into the Wheezy kernel, but is blacklisted in the boot, as it isn't needed by the normal user. Removing that blacklist entry, and adding a modprobe for i2c-dev will create the /dev/i2c-0 device. Installing i2c-tools provides a high-level view of the I2C interface.

The command sudo i2cdetect 0 will show the 8x8 matrix attached to the system as device x'70'. I just have no idea how to use /dev/i2c-0 from that point to use the display. Actual documentation for the I2C Backpack and its supported command structure would go a long way to making the device usable on the Raspberry Pi. At this point it is not an electronic problem, just one of documentation.
rpural

by adafruit on Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:57 pm

feel free to experiment and try porting it but its just not as simple as 'copy and pasting' - arduino code wont compile on a linux machine. we may have example code at some point, but there is no ETA!
adafruit

by rpural on Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:01 pm

You've missed my point; Don't write sample code. Document your interface.
rpural

by adafruit on Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:32 pm

The entire interface is completely documented in the HT16K33 datasheet - the backpacks only use that chip, it handles all the LED functions :)
Please check http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-led- ... /downloads for the datasheet, it has detailed interface information!
adafruit