Pi Dish extras
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Pi Dish extras

by dweeber on Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:06 pm

Just ordered the Pi Dish, It would appear from the desciption that it doesn't include any cables. Not even sure if it includes the breadboard as the description says "Comes with: Laser cut acrylic plate, mounting hardware for Pi with clips and screws, four bumpers and a clear breadboard". Clear as in clear in color, or clear as in nothing on it?

In anycase, what would be a good add on for this so that I can actually connect the RPi to the breadboard since without any cables it would be stand alone.

I see this: Adafruit Pi Cobbler Breakout Kit for Raspberry Pi, but then I would have an extra breadboard? I also see just the GPIO cable, but no jumpers by themselves.
dweeber

Re: Pi Dish extras

by adafruit on Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:20 pm

The Pi Dish comes with a clear/transluscent breadboard

the Cobbler does not - so you would not have two

We carry many types of jumper wire here! http://www.adafruit.com/category/33 so pick which one you prefer!
adafruit

by dweeber on Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:48 pm

Thanks.
dweeber

by VOYAGERUSA on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:10 pm

I modded the 801 board with the 706 beagle bone stacking header so i could add the 914 cobbler to the 801 and PI to connect to the 942 PI dish just remember where pin 1 is!
This makes a great daisy chain without all the wires,just solder it instead of supplied header plug .
Now everything stays on no swapping to use other add-on boards and is real neat
Prolly voids warranty==:) jk
VOYAGERUSA

by dweeber on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:12 pm

My frustration is showing....

Today all the parts I ordered showed up... my son has been waiting for this so we can do something we are both interested together... Unfortunately due to a lack of information, it is clear I am missing key components despite asking earlier what was needed.

At the time I ordered this, there were no videos and very little details on this product... I started this thread trying to find out what extras I needed to use this, apparently I wasn't clear enough and the answer was a bit vague.

I learned that I needed a Cable, but if I ordered the cable (which I did) I would have nothing to connect to. A better answer would have been "you would need something like the cobbler to connect the breadboard to the RPi"...

So, I now have the RPi mounted, the breadboard attached, a cable connected to the GPIO pins, but not connected or anyway to connect to the breadboard. I have jumpers which I ordered at the same time... but without the GPIO cable attached...

So it would appear that the easiest solution would be to order the Cobbler now... We expect to have these in stock in about 5 to 10 business days of course I can't do that...

Since I already have the cable are the other options? I see what appears to be the same part that plugs into the breadboard, but it doesn't have the cable connector for it and the description does not lead me to think I am looking at the same thing since the Cobbler calls it "a custom PCB, ribbon cable socket and header pins."

The sad thing is that I would have bought what was needed if that information had been made available n the descriptions of the product and/or the response to my post.

I would imagine that there are a lot of people like myself which are playing with this type of stuff for the first time.... and don't necessarily know what the parts are called, what is required to get a basic setup...

A suggested setup on the parts page, might be use for those who don't know...

If anyone has a suggestion on where I can get the needed parts now that I have what I have, I'm all ears...
dweeber

by pburgess on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:33 am

Howdy,

For an interim solution, jumper wires can be inserted into the header on the ribbon cable. Print out or keep a copy of the Cobbler breakout image handy...just remember that's a top-down view of the header, and you'll need to mentally flip things when you turn the header over to connect wires.

breadboard-wires.jpg
breadboard-wires.jpg (33.2 KiB) Viewed 920 times

header.jpg
header.jpg (27.31 KiB) Viewed 920 times
pburgess

by dweeber on Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:41 pm

Thanks for that info. Will keep that in mind.

Question. Does adafruit ever plan on selling an assembled (already soldered) version of the Pi Cobbler?
dweeber

by dweeber on Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:59 pm

Found the answer I think to the above (can't edit post)

I don't think I have the skill/tools to build this kit, can you sell me a prebuilt kit? How much will it cost for me to buy a fully built device?
Right now, we only sell kits and PCBs. For some projects, people offer builder services through the forums or our jobs board and you can post a message in the appropriate group either offering or seeking such services.

My asking was for a project that will need 20+ units... I will just setup my Son (23yo) with the soldering stuff and give him something to do and just add something to the cost of the units to cover it.
dweeber