microSd XC Reader in Mac
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

microSd XC Reader in Mac

by culbe on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:16 am

Despite the picture on the Adafruit website, this adapter to read micro cards from a USB slot doesn't seem to work on a Mac. I've used it on my PC with the win32diskimager to install raspian, and it worked fine for that. But when I plug it into my Mac nothing happens. Can't find the drive in diskutil list or dmesg at all.

Another thing I'm curious about is when I plug it back into my PC it thinks there is only 55MB of space on a 4GB card? All I can see is the boot loader (I think it's the boot loader anyways). Where are the rest of the files on my RPi? Why can't I plug this into another computer to manipulate the file system?
culbe

Re: microSd XC Reader in Mac

by adafruit_support_rick on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:50 am

That is very strange. Is it possible that it's not inserting all the way into the USB slot? Have you tried a different slot, or a hub?

If you go into the Mac's System Information Report window, can you see the Reader under USB devices?

culbe wrote:Another thing I'm curious about is when I plug it back into my PC it thinks there is only 55MB of space on a 4GB card?

Not sure I'm following you. Earlier, you said it worked on your PC?

Can you try it with a different microSD card?

adafruit_support_rick

by adafruit on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:44 pm

the linux distro's have two partitions, a small FAT partition that shows up and a 'hidden' linux partition, thats normal! we did test the reader on our macbook air - is this a USB 3 port?
adafruit

by culbe on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:28 pm

I have confirmed it is plugged all the way in. I have tried both USB ports on the Air (2012 model) which are USB 3.0 ports. I also reset the SMC which was a suggested fix for built-in readers that did not work (which is unrelated, I know).

(minutes later)

So after using the Disk Management utility on my PC I was able to at least erase the boot partition and the 'hidden' linux partition. Unfortunately, I could not find an option to erase the entire card so out of curiosity I tried plugging it into my Air and lo-and-behold it worked.

No idea why it would suddenly mount, especially if the boot loader partition is in FAT format? That should mount just fine? Anyways, I went ahead and used Disk Utility from there to get the card back to a unified 4GB blank partition.

Now I am seeing that the microSD reader will sometimes mount this blank 4GB card on my Macbook Air and sometimes it won't. Specifically, the port next to the power adapter almost always works, while the port on the other side of the laptop almost never works. I know these ports are good, I can plug any USB drive into them and they both work fine. Really think that there is something fishy going on with the microSD reader for it to work so sporadically.

However, works on every port on my PC with no problems ...
culbe

by adafruit_support_rick on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:39 am

We think there's something fishy with USB 3.0 ports.

You wouldn't happen to have Boot Camp on the MacBook, would you? It would be interesting to know if the problem goes away if you boot natively into Windows. That would indicate that it's a Mac driver problem instead of a USB hardware problem.

On that subject, have you rebooted the Mac lately? It would also be interesting to know if the symptoms change after a restart.

adafruit_support_rick