Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

Pi Box piece too thick
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Pi Box piece too thick

by nmalinoski on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:04 pm

I just received my RPi starter kit, and began by assembling the Pi Box, but I noticed that one of the horizontal plates (Top/Bottom) is apparently too thick to fit into the slots in the sides. If I place both top/bottom pieces side-by-side, one is noticeably thicker than the other.

I have a file on hand, and theoretically I could file the plastic so it could fit, but I've no experience with modifying acrylic plastic, so I don't know if that's actually a good idea. Obviously I wouldn't be opposed to receiving a new part.

So, what's the recommended solution to this?
nmalinoski

Re: Pi Box piece too thick

by tldr on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:12 pm

acrylic likes to crack or shatter. it also looks really bad when scratched. and its thickness varies a great deal within a sheet, but it usually tends to run thinner than spec. i wouldn't try to fix it 'til you've been promised a replacement if the operation goes south.
"If I had known it was harmless, I would have killed it myself." - Phillip K. Dick, A Scanner Darkly
tldr

by pburgess on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:50 pm

Hi there. Very sorry about that...please email support@adafruit.com and include your order number and a link to this post, and we'll issue a replacement.

Occasionally a sheet of acrylic comes from the factory just a little thicker than normal. The case design has enough wiggle room to handle some variation, but this must've been a particularly thick piece.

pburgess

by nmalinoski on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:22 am

Email sent; thank you, pburgess.
nmalinoski