Can not get an internet connection with Occidentalis Kernel

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
nivekmai

Can not get an internet connection with Occidentalis Kernel

Post by nivekmai »

After successfully following the pwm motor control lesson, I found that I am having trouble getting my wifi dongle to connect (edimax EW7811UN ) when I install the Occidentalis kernel, and only when I have that kernel installed.

Here's a checklist of what works and doesn't:
  • Berryboot: works fine out of the box
    Raspbian: works fine once configured
    Occidentalis:
    • doesn't work out of the box or when configured
      works once I use apt-get update/upgrade (but then pwm controls don't work)
      doesn't work once I reinstall the kernel (using the directions on the Occidentalis install page) after apt-get update/upgrade
When I first installed Occidentalis, I was able to get a list of wifi's from doing iwlist scan, after the update and reinstalling the kernel, I could not see any routers anymore.
Before and after updating, I was able to see the dongle in lsusb, and the light on the dongle is lit. When I do ifdown/up, the pi tries to discover on DHCP, but doesn't get any offers. If I set the connection to manual, I get nothing. Independent of doing manual or dhcp, I always get these lines while doing ifup:

ioctl[SIOCSIWAP]: Operation not permitted
ioctl[SIOCSIWESSID]: Operation not permitted
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Invalid argument
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Invalid argument

I have tried everything I can possibly think of, but I can not get both PWM and the edimax dongle working together. Does anyone have any ideas of anything else I can try?

nivekmai

Re: Can not get an internet connection with Occidentalis Kernel

Post by nivekmai »

Ok, after doing a few more specified searches, it seems that the rlt8192cu driver is not being loaded. Running lsmod does not show the rtl8192cu module loaded.

I tried setting setting 8192cu to load in /etc/modules, but now the pi hangs a bit on boot (keyboard doesn't work, but the boot continues, eventually able to enter user/pass). Also, the wifi dongle does not light up when I load 8192cu, and the dongle is not listed in lsusb anymore.

I assume that I am not properly loading the rtl8192cu module, since I really have no idea what I am doing. Can anyone tell me how to properly load the module so that it does not hang/kill my dongle?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Can not get an internet connection with Occidentalis Kernel

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Occidentalis is based on an older version of Raspbian, so it's possible the older kernel doesn't have that driver built in.

This page from the Raspberry Pi website has instructions for building, installing, and configuring the rlt8192cu module: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=11162 The page is a bit older, so it might be of the same vintage as the Occidentalis base distro.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”