Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

hdmi to vga adapter? [solved]

by cwc1885 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:21 am

http://www.adafruit.com/products/1151

I got two of these and I'm having trouble viewing anythig with the current wheezy after I set "hdmi_safe=1"
2013-02-09-wheezy-raspbian.zip

I'm using an old CRT.
Any ideas?

Has anyone had luck using a flatscreen lcd ? ViewSonic ?
Last edited by cwc1885 on Wed May 01, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cwc1885

Re: hdmi to vga adapter?

by tetrode on Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 am

I have exactly the same problem. The HDMI adaptor does not work with my older VGA Viewsonic LCD display. I switched to a similar adaptor from Cable Experts and it works flawlessly with the Raspberry Pi
tetrode

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:06 pm

There's been a lot of discussion about HDMI-to-VGA conversion, both here at Adafruit and on the official Raspberry Pi forums. The HDMI-to-VGA adapter we carry is one of the few cable-powered units that works reliably on the amount of current the RasPi can deliver. We tested it on many different monitors and for long periods of time before putting it in the catalog, but it seems there are still plenty of devils among the details.

@cwc1885: First, make sure you have a good power supply. In my own testing, I've found some flakiness in the video output when using 5v/500mA supplies. Noisy supplies also seem to make life more difficult, but you already want a smooth supply to avoid killing the polyfuse at the input.

If "hdmi_safe=1" doesn't do the job, try the other suggestions on the offical troubleshooting page: http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... put_at_all Those are primarily for HDMI issues, but might help the HDMI-to-VGA conversion.

Also try running these commands to see what your RasPi sees when it looks at the monitor:

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -d edid.dat
/opt/vc/bin/edidparser edid.dat

@tetrode: If you found an adapter that works, that's awesome. I'm trying to collect all the information about the subject I can, so can you post a link to a description? Also, do you happen to know how much current it's drawing from your RasPI?
When you void a product warranty, you give up your right to sue the manufacturer if something goes wrong and accept full responsibility for whatever happens next. And then you truly own the product.
adafruit_support_mike

by cwc1885 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:24 pm

adafruit_support_mike wrote:There's been a lot of discussion about HDMI-to-VGA conversion, both here at Adafruit and on the official Raspberry Pi forums. The HDMI-to-VGA adapter we carry is one of the few cable-powered units that works reliably on the amount of current the RasPi can deliver. We tested it on many different monitors and for long periods of time before putting it in the catalog, but it seems there are still plenty of devils among the details.

@cwc1885: First, make sure you have a good power supply. In my own testing, I've found some flakiness in the video output when using 5v/500mA supplies. Noisy supplies also seem to make life more difficult, but you already want a smooth supply to avoid killing the polyfuse at the input.

If "hdmi_safe=1" doesn't do the job, try the other suggestions on the offical troubleshooting page: http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... put_at_all Those are primarily for HDMI issues, but might help the HDMI-to-VGA conversion.

Also try running these commands to see what your RasPi sees when it looks at the monitor:

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -d edid.dat
/opt/vc/bin/edidparser edid.dat

@tetrode: If you found an adapter that works, that's awesome. I'm trying to collect all the information about the subject I can, so can you post a link to a description? Also, do you happen to know how much current it's drawing from your RasPI?

I'm using a 2A USB Hub. http://www.adafruit.com/products/961
I will check how much current I the RasPI is drawing.

I got the adapter to work with Occidental but the Wifi Adapter would not work.
I'm using Wheezy 2-09-13 and that is when my problem started.
We will keep at it.
cwc1885

by cwc1885 on Wed May 01, 2013 5:16 pm

We got things to work.
We did two things.
1. Use a 5v 2a Power Adapter for the RasPi
2. And switched to a TV with a VGA input. Granted I can use the hdmi on the TV but we wanted to test the HDMI to VGA adapter.

Next we will look at the refresh rate of the TV and get a LCD to match.

Thanks Adafruit!
cwc1885

Re: hdmi to vga adapter? [solved]

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu May 02, 2013 7:08 pm

Thank you for following up with a description of what worked. The more of these I see, the better I know how to help people.
When you void a product warranty, you give up your right to sue the manufacturer if something goes wrong and accept full responsibility for whatever happens next. And then you truly own the product.
adafruit_support_mike