DS18B20 wont communicate

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
diddly

DS18B20 wont communicate

Post by diddly »

I recently purchased (among others) a couple DS18B20's (the assembled waterproof version) for use with my growing collection of Pis

Now, when I hooked my first sensor up and tried to load the 1w-gpio driver, I get a:
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'w1_gpio': No such device
I verified the wiring about 4 times, and I know I haven't had my coffee yet, but its only three wires :)... Next I tried with the other sensor to see if it's a problem with the first, and same result. I have also verified that GPIO4 is working fine, by connecting 3.3 and GND to it and querying the pin.

I am using a Gentoo Linux build, and the kernel I have is a pretty recent 3.6.y (more recent than the last 1wire check-in to the 3.6.y tree on github). 3.6.11-cutdown-g5cb7d0b to be exact.

So is there anything I can do to troubleshoot further? I'd doubt that both devices arrived DOA. Is the occidentalis kernel patching the 1wire kernel drivers? Can I manually bitbang the GPIO4 to verify the device is 'seen' ? I'd guess no on the latter due to the timing of 1wire protocol... I have access to a scope if there is anything to see on the data pin that could help?

Cheers

diddly

Re: DS18B20 wont communicate

Post by diddly »

I have solved it myself, it turns out that even though I had the 1-wire, 1w-gpio and 1w-therm modules built and loaded, I also needed to build the connector (cn.ko) driver as well before the temperature sensors could be probed. Hope this helps someone else someday.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Glad to hear it's working for you, and kudos to you for debugging your way to the missing piece. It would have taken me a lot of head-scratching to get there.

mwinger

Post by mwinger »

I am unable to get the ds1820 to work either. I am using a rpi b+ with with a 2.8 in lcd touch screen. I have the sensors connected via a cable plugged into the 26 pin connector on lcd board. I measure 3.3 v on pin 3 of the sensor so I assume it is connected correctly. I also tried plugging directly to the pi without the lcd board, same thing.

Is there a way to confirm that gpio4 is working on the pi?

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”