RPI Camera Dead?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

RPI Camera Dead?

by kratzu on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:16 pm

Hi there. I need customer support since my Rpi camera module won't work. I tried everything with 3 different RPI boards and different memory cards and when I do raspistill, the led turns on but it doesn't do the preview menu. Thanks.
kratzu

Re: RPI Camera Dead?

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:40 am

Check the cables and supply voltage according to the instructions here: http://elinux.org/Rpi_Camera_Module#Troubleshooting

Power limits seem to be the most common source of "it just doesn't work" issues. The RasPi is officially spec'd to draw 720mA at maximum load, and uses about 550mA in normal operation. The camera wants another 260mA, taking the total current consumption up to about 800mA.

Unfortunately, the F3 polyfuse that protects the RasPi from spikes on the supply rails is rated for a trip current of 750-800mA. The worst combination of partial factors doesn't shut down the RasPi, it just causes the voltage on the supply rails to droop a little. The droop is enough to make the system's performance unstable, without giving you a full-scale "having trouble with power, shutting down now" warning.
When you void a product warranty, you give up your right to sue the manufacturer if something goes wrong and accept full responsibility for whatever happens next. And then you truly own the product.
adafruit_support_mike

by kratzu on Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:31 pm

I've tried everything and it still does not work. Is there any way to get a replacement?
kratzu

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:21 pm

Send a message to support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread and they'll help you out.
When you void a product warranty, you give up your right to sue the manufacturer if something goes wrong and accept full responsibility for whatever happens next. And then you truly own the product.
adafruit_support_mike

by tazmed on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:25 pm

We have had the same problem. And because of the project deadline, we purchased our third camera PI. We will most probably purchase a fourth one for the demo if not fifth. I don't know how to fix the problem in a better way than paying $45 every 2 weeks to get a new one. Please help.
tazmed

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:04 am

The general failure rate on cameras is about 0.1%. Getting three bad ones in a row is technically possible, but it pushes the odds pretty hard.

I'd be more inclined to look for environmental issues. What kind of demo are you doing, and what hardware are you using? More specifically, what are you using as a power source, what loads are connected to it, and what are the possible ESD sources near the camera or RasPi?
adafruit_support_mike