Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

AdaFruit Pibow case and Low Profile SD Adaptor issues

by HillyBilly on Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:57 am

Hi,

I have some issues with a recently purchased low profile micro SD card adaptor from a UK reseller. The device itself works fine. My issue is one of damaging my Raspberry Pi due to the size when using with a Pibow case.
http://www.adafruit.com/products/1037

I know you ladies and the guys from Pimoroni work very closely to produce excellent products that work well and look cool.

The issue I have is that when you install your adaptor and try to put your case back together again the adaptor is about 1-2mm to high causing the base layer of the Pibow to bow and break the soldered contacts to the SD Card socket on the Pi.

I have photo's I could send you if you email me direct.

One option may be to sink the spring loaded Micro SD Card Socket within the PCB and strengthen the fitting by soldering the out case to a grounded connection on the PCB.

Also when you fit the adaptor, due to the positioning within the case its very hard to eject the micro sd card should you wish to change it.

Could I suggest a mod to extend the PCB by about 3-5mm so that the edge of the low profile adaptor is flush with the edge of the Ada Fruit Pibow case (again, I have photo's to highlight what I mean), thus still offering the safe and secure low profile feel with the added benefit of being able to easily replace/change your micro SD Card.

I look forward to your reply
Attachments
20131016_114754.jpg
Bowing on the Pibow Case when low profile SD adaptor installed
20131016_114754.jpg (215.98 KiB) Viewed 72 times
20131016_114638.jpg
Extend the low profile sd adaptor
20131016_114638.jpg (194.15 KiB) Viewed 72 times
HillyBilly

Re: AdaFruit Pibow case and Low Profile SD Adaptor issues

by adafruit_support_rick on Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:39 am

This is a known incompatibility, and it is noted on the Low Profile SD adapter's product page:
Depending on the case from various manufacturers, the microSD card adapter may not easily slide in and out or may need modifications to the PCB or actual case. The microSD card adapter is meant for a stand alone board or with use on our Pi Dish or VESA mount. It does not fit in a PiBow case, for certain.
adafruit_support_rick