My Completed Cupcade

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
drussell5886

My Completed Cupcade

Post by drussell5886 »

Having never picked up a soldering iron before, I was really surprised at how well it all went. My first few soldering joints were pretty messy, but I caught on after a little while. I'm not an EE (actually I'm a ME), but I have wired a few logic circuits on a breadboard in the lab. I have loved games and programming most of my life, and this was a really good entry point for me to electronics tinkering.

Notable tools I used:
Weller SP40NKUS with ST7 tip (because of the LED lights)
Soldering iron stand (must have)
Titanium scissors (because my diagonal cutters hadn't arrived yet; not recommended!)
Hair dryer for shrinking heat shrink tubing (not recommended!)
Wooden board that I could rotate the project around on
Printed copy of the circuit layout, which I kept in front of me at all times

Tools I should have used:
Clamp for holding the project so it didn't wiggle around while soldering

Thanks for a fun and actually non-frustrating experience!
1.jpg
1.jpg (924.32 KiB) Viewed 723 times

egutting

Re: My Completed Cupcade

Post by egutting »

Looks good!!! Now it's time to mod it :)

crazylefty

Post by crazylefty »

Mine is going into a ClapTrap from Borderlands2 with an Adafruit 1.2" 7-segment display
Mod all the thingz!!

edit: small pics

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Awesome!

adavies

Post by adavies »

My completed cupcade:
Cupcade.jpg
Cupcade.jpg (897.61 KiB) Viewed 642 times
I would have preferred to include a pic of it powered up, but its late in the evening now, and the speaker is quite loud for such a little beastie.

Assembly Time (4hrs approx):
30minutes preparation - checking all the pieces etc
2hrs soldering + checking + glue-guning
1.5hrs case assembly (it took me 4x attempts to get it right!)

My Trials:
  • The jumper wire I used to bridge connections on the proto-board got melted twice - so I had to break out the glue gun to provide added insulation.
    Thought I messed up at least 2x, when the screen was just white; turned out the ribbon cable came a bit loose, just had to push it back in firmer.
    The speaker cable feeding into the proto-board came loose, though the pin-hole was full of solder (guessing cold joint), then the capacitor was in the way so couldn't put it back in exactly the same place - never mind, re-soldered to an empty pin within the same line - whew!
    The joystick stopped working... under a tangle of cables, they had become pulled out. I had to re-adjust some cable positions.
    The double sided tape on the back of the PiTFT I found wasn't strong enough - had to use some extra tape.
    The case (even though I have an ice-tube clock) was tricky, those small nuts kept falling out of place even with masking tape. Patience prevails! No force necessary!
Games tested via pre-checks during stage builds:
  • bombjack
    frogger
    arkanoid
    pacman
Mods planned:
  • Switch/connector to optionally disable speaker (when playing late at night)
    Hunt down & apply mini arcade style stickers
Last edited by adavies on Fri May 09, 2014 2:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

darksheep

Post by darksheep »

Verry Cool where did you get your roms from just pm me please , I cant get any to work event the test one they all say files missing even the one from the mame web site . May be its my sd card but not sure where to get the files from to make a new one

adavies

Post by adavies »

I used:
http://coolrom.com/roms/
http://www.emuparadise.me/roms-isos-games.php

make sure you only grab "mame" roms, others are marked nes/atari etc

I then used linux to copy the downloaded zip files into /media/mmcblkp1/advmame/roms (the sdcard automatically mounted to /media/mmcblkp1) may be different for you.

On windows should be the drive labelled boot, then advmame/roms/

Some rome don't work

Success:
donkey kong
galaga
arkanoid 1 + 2
centipede
frogger
millipede
digdug
pacman
ms pacman
scramble
xevious
space-invaders

darksheep

Post by darksheep »

Thanks so much got it to work now seems there are some issues have you seen piplay has all the emulators woudl be cool if we could get it to work with this kits hard ware , I will start looking at it but I am new to linux so not sure how hard it would be.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”