PiTFT Debs breaking my TP-LINK WN725N drivers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
notro

Re: PiTFT Debs breaking my TP-LINK WN725N drivers

Post by notro »

If you have downloaded the source as a tarball, the kernel build system can't determine that you have a modified kernel. If you build from a git repo it can detect that you're not on a tagged commit and add a '+'.
There are several ways to fix this. One way is to set 'EXTRAVERSION = +', in the Makefile.

scripts/setlocalversion contains the logic.

MrEngman2

Post by MrEngman2 »

OK, I've now managed to compile the driver and modinfo shows the correct linux version, 3.12.26+, but unfortunately it doesn't make any difference, still fails to load with the error Invalid module format.

I have a clone of the raspberrypi linux source repo which I use to compile the same driver for wheezy. I set the clone to source version 3.12.26+, added the fbtft code and the .config from the Easy Install image, compiled linux and then compiled the driver and this time modinfo showed the driver with the correct linux version.

Why directly downloading the 3.12.26+ source as a tar.gz compiled as 3.12.26+ is a mystery to me.

Anyway, it would appear that even directly using the .config from the Adafruit Easy Install image does not produce the correct module format so something is not set right or there is additional source of some sort missing.

Wheezy has 5 different images using linux version 3.12.26+ but they all use the same version of the WN725n driver so I would expect that any of the images could be used to compile the Adafruit image to allow the driver to be compiled and work, although I suppose that could be wrong.

Would be nice to know exactly what wheezy image, what commit id, was used to produce the current Adafruit image so that another possible issue could be avoided.

MrEngman

MrEngman2

Post by MrEngman2 »

Hi everyone,

I've finally managed to compile a driver that loads in the latest Adafruit Easyinstall PiTFT , 3.12.26+ #7, and it appears to work OK.

You can download it from here.

MrEngman

dbirovljevic

Post by dbirovljevic »

I can also confirm it is working OK.

MrEngman, thank you very much for this!

rstovall

Post by rstovall »

Working!!! Thank you!!

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”