7 port usb hub problems

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
bbikebbs

7 port usb hub problems

Post by bbikebbs »

I recently received a powered 7 port usb hub (PID: 961, https://www.adafruit.com/product/961) ordered on May 5, 2014. The invoice # is 493231. Iʼm having issues with it.

I used it with my Raspberry Pi, Rev. B that is powered with a 1 amp power supply. I had an external hard drive connected to the Pi with no problems getting it to read/write. When the hub showed up, I switched the hard drive to the hub and plugged the hub in. I then turned on the Pi. When I went to check the drive, it wasn't there. After trouble shooting including plugging a different drive into the hub, I re-plugged the original drive back into the Pi and got it working again. Both drives (formatted NTFS) were checked and working on my windows based PC both before and after being in the hub. I then plugged the powered hub into the windows box and plugged in an 8 gig flash drive and my iPhone. I almost immediately had to pull the iPhone out as it kept flashing on/off. The flash drive led was constantly flashing but not the typical flashing of it being addressed by the computer.

Where should I go from here? Thanks for any help.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: 7 port usb hub problems

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Is the red power LED lit on the hub?

bbikebbs

Post by bbikebbs »

adafruit_support_rick wrote:Is the red power LED lit on the hub?
Yes.

adafruit_support_rick

Let's replace the hub. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement

bbikebbs

Post by bbikebbs »

Received replacement today. Everything is working as expected!

Thanks for your quick response.

siles

Post by siles »

I purchased a 7 port Manhattan hub under order #518505=1601324008 along with an RPi and a wireless dongle. The hub is not working properli.

When I power the hub with the supplies adapter it does not transmit power to the RPi. The red LED on the hub lights but the LED on the Pi does not. Also the dongles for the WIFI and wireless keyboard are not recognized. The work plugged directly into the RPi or in a non-powered hub. Please advise.

TIA

Siles

adafruit_support_rick

Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement hub

siles

Post by siles »

siles wrote:I purchased a 7 port Manhattan hub under order #518505=1601324008 along with an RPi and a wireless dongle. The hub is not working properli.

When I power the hub with the supplies adapter it does not transmit power to the RPi. The red LED on the hub lights but the LED on the Pi does not. Also the dongles for the WIFI and wireless keyboard are not recognized. The work plugged directly into the RPi or in a non-powered hub. Please advise.

TIA

Siles
I receives the replacement hub on invoice number 522089. It still exhibits the same problem as the original hum. No power transmitted to the RPi. I have borrowed a no-name 7 port powered hub which does work as does a non-powered hub. If I connect an A-A power usb cable then signals are transmitted to the Pi. Apparently the built in cable is defective as on 2 hubs, now, power is not sent through.

Please advise.

Siles

adafruit_support_rick

Try a different USB cable between the hub and the Pi.

siles

Post by siles »

adafruit_support_rick wrote:Try a different USB cable between the hub and the Pi.
Rick

I do not have a full USB male A to Male A cable. As I stated a USB A male to A male POWER cable and the built in cable both connected work. This though leaves me with a six port hub, not seven.
Siles

adafruit_support_rick

We can try replacing it again, or you can return it for a refund. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

I do not have a full USB male A to Male A cable.
The power is through the micro USB connector on the pi, is that the one you are using? Could you post a picture?

siles

Post by siles »

DSCN0038.JPG
DSCN0038.JPG (981.25 KiB) Viewed 231 times
franklin97355 wrote:
I do not have a full USB male A to Male A cable.
The power is through the micro USB connector on the pi, is that the one you are using? Could you post a picture?
This is the only power cable I have, and it works. Would a 592 cable work? I really do not want to try a third hub and will return one of the two I have if you will post an address. I would buy the cable, if it will work, but shipping charges will be high.

siles

Post by siles »

Wi;; an 898 cable also work? This length will work better for me/

Siles

adafruit_support_rick

The way you have it in the picture - are you trying to power the Pi that way? That won't work. You have to power the pi through the micro-B connector on the other end of the board.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”