Did I kill my spy camera?

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
nsayer

Did I kill my spy camera?

Post by nsayer »

Before I left for the 4th of July, I had been playing with the spy cam on my pi and all was well.

Trying today, I get the dreaded ENOMEM error whenever I try.

I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting the camera, re-enabling it in raspi-config... nothing helps.

Anybody have any other possible diagnostic attempts before I write this one off and wait for the replacements to be in stock?

nsayer

Re: Did I kill my spy camera?

Post by nsayer »

Bueller?

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

Whats the ENOMEM error? the chipset is (as far as we can tell) the same as the original PiCam but we need more details to analyze what may be up!

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

In raspi-config, what does the memory split command show as the amount of RAM available to your GPU? (check this page if you aren't familiar with the memory split option in raspi-config: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/h ... ry-pi.html ) The camera needs a fair amount of GPU memory, IIRC at least 128 megabytes. Try bumping up the GPU memory if it's lower to see if that helps. If you can grab the exact error message and command that's returning it that would help troubleshoot too.

nsayer

Post by nsayer »

The memory split was 64. Increasing it to 128 didn't help.

rpi:~> raspistill -o f
mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1:ENOMEM)
mmal: mmal_component_create_core: could not create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1)
mmal: Failed to create camera component
mmal: main: Failed to create camera component
mmal: Camera is not enabled in this build. Try running "sudo raspi-config" and ensure that "camera" has been enabled

And, yes, I am really, really, REALLY sure that the camera is enabled in raspi-config.

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

Interesting, so from googling around a bit for that failure there's some good troubleshooting info here: http://elinux.org/Rpi_Camera_Module
Camera not working at all
Example error message: "mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1:ENOMEM)"

Make sure the flex cable is inserted the correct way on both ends, and each connector has the locking tab engaged. The RPi + camera draws about 260 mA more current when recording video, than without the camera. The Model B is about 550 mA by itself, so camera use pushes it over 800 mA. Some power supplies, cables, and polyfuses may not maintain 5V onboard at this current load well enough for reliable operation. You can check this with a voltmeter across TP1 and TP2.[15][16]

In some cases, the micro-connector from the camera module to the camera board PCB has been loose. This can be fixed by removing and re-seating the small (tiny!) yellow flex cable connector labelled "P5V04A SUNNY" on the camera board. It makes a click when it is fully seated.[17] Note: before touching the camera board, make sure you are grounded, as the board is ESD sensitive (can be damaged by static shock).

This error message also appear if you forgot to configure the configuration file of the Raspberry. Just type: sudo raspi-config and choose "5- Enable camera" option then "Enable"
Interesting that they mention it could be a power supply issue since the camera pulls a decent amount of current. Are you powering the Pi from a computer or 5V wall wart/power adapter? Can you try powering from different 5V wall wart/power adapters (ideally the one with the best current capability you have handy, like an iPhone charger)?

nsayer

Post by nsayer »

I've tried a variety of power supplies, but mostly Pi Power, which is my own creation, and is rated for 2A @ 4.968 volts with 25 mV P-P ripple.

If it's a power problem, I'd be stunned.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

does it work with a 'classic' pi camera?

nsayer

Post by nsayer »

That I don't know. I only have the one. Buying a second camera is the next troubleshooting step, I guess.

I have tried it on two Pis - a B and B+ and it's the same for both of them.

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

Just to rule out a video memory issue, does bumping the GPU memory up to 256 megabytes using the raspi-config tool help?

nsayer

Post by nsayer »

No. And this *was* working once up on a time with the split set to 64, FWIW.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

OK sounds like we tried everything! lets try replacing or refunding it - email support@adafruit with a link to this thread! you may want to get a refund and then purchase a 'classic' picam since that's an official pi product

nsayer

Post by nsayer »

I would be inclined to get another Spy camera... but if they're going to be more fragile and fussy than the original camera... maybe not. I notice they're out of stock. Have you guys had more trouble with them than the ordinary kind?

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

no, yours is the first issue we have heard of and the one we used in house still works just fine

nsayer

Post by nsayer »

Turns out that the issue is not with the camera. It's with my brand new B+'s camera port. :(

I bought a normal R-Pi camera, and it didn't work on my B+ either. So I tried them both on my older B, and they both work perfectly.

So, nothing wrong with either camera.

But neither is working on my new B+ Pi.... which is where I really *want* them to work.

Is this a software thing? One thing I noticed right away was that the new (non spy) camera has an LED that lights up when power is first applied. It doesn't do that on the B+.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”