Fitting multiple devices onto the GPIO header

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
pjwalsh77b

Fitting multiple devices onto the GPIO header

Post by pjwalsh77b »

I currently have a device (a RasClock) installed on my Pi which covers GPIO pins 1-6, and I have just ordered the PiTFT display. I see from the installation instructions that the PiTFT covers all of the GPIO pins, and fits down snugly to the Pi. Any suggestions about how I can get the RasClock and the PiTFT to co-exist?

pburgess

Re: Fitting multiple devices onto the GPIO header

Post by pburgess »

The PiTFT provides an auxiliary GPIO header along the right edge (near the SD and USB power connectors). You can attach a ribbon cable or solder wires directly.

pjwalsh77b

Post by pjwalsh77b »

Will the PiTFT work if connected via ribbon cable? Or does it require direct mounting to the GPIO header?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

It should, but is less likely to work the longer the cable gets.

All cables introduce some amount of noise that interferes with high-speed signals, and ribbon cables are notorious for capacitive coupling between the wires. The control signals to the PiTFT are transmitted using SPI, which is fairly probust, but the sheer volume of data transmitted raises the odds of cable noise introducing glitches.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”