Startup problems with new Raspberry Pi

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
eagletree

Startup problems with new Raspberry Pi

Post by eagletree »

I purchased a Pi from Adafruit plus monitor, a distribution of noobs, two power supplies and cables. The Pi is a B+, the NOOBS is 1.3.9, and the monitor is a 7 inch number 1933. I have some questions, some of which seem to be my own mistakes in purchasing.

1. I bought two power supplies, the 1A and 2A because in reading the sales literature, it said that having the monitor will require more power. The 2A supply has no cable to connect to anything useful, just a barrel style like used on most consumer devices. Is there a converter to get it to a USB format which could power the monitor?

2. I plugged it into the pi and had both sharing the 1A supply. This brought the monitor to life, but it never got a signal through the HDMI (I purchased that cable from Adafruit at the same time). Is it inadequate power to have the Pi drive it?

3. I can't make the pi boot. I put it's little monitor on it, put an old mac keyboard I had laying around, and a logitech trackball. When I power all of this, a red light comes on, I get a yellow light blink (just briefly a couple of times) then steady state red, no sign of the monitor waking up. Do I have the wrong NOOBS for the B+, I bought it at the end of last week, so I expected that older OSs would not be shipped in an order with a B+. Or possibly I just have a monitor problem.

4. Just on a lark, I tried to get it working headless. I noted there was no .txt file in the root of the sd (looking at it on my mac) since it's NOOBS and not a debian. But I let it sit for a time and monitored the arp table on my network. After a time, a 169.254.3.14 popped up. I quickly created an ifconfig alias (169.254.3.15 with a /24 subnet) on my mac and attempted to ssh, but it just timed out. I tried telnet too with the same result. I assume it's interface came alive just for a network boot protocol or something like that. Is there a way to get the NOOBS booted (if it's booted) system first time headless?

What is my course of action. Should I wipe this noobs SD and try to download a newer version of Raspbian? Will this help the situation with the monitor or is it DOA or in need of a separate power supply? What specific part number should I have ordered for the monitors power supply to be useful?

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Startup problems with new Raspberry Pi

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Which monitor is this? I didn't know we had one that took a USB power input?

eagletree

Post by eagletree »

The monitor is marked "HDMI 4 Pi 7" Display (no Touch) w/Mini Driver - 800x480 HDMI". Other than the USB cable, it doesn't appear to have any way to get power.

adafruit_support_rick

This one?
https://www.adafruit.com/products/1934

The product page says this:
The setup is very easy to use - simply connect a 5-12VDC adapter to the 2.1mm center-positive DC jack, then connect a digital video source to one of the ports . Voilà, a display!
I don't see any USB ports on the thing.

eagletree

Post by eagletree »

No, it is this one:

https://www.adafruit.com/products/1933

I see that the 1A supply was what I ordered for it, but that means I don't have a supply for the Pi itself. What is the right product for the Pi? For it I received a mini USB that also plugs into a USB supply. Is there any way to make use of the 2A supply I bought?

adafruit_support_rick

We don't have a USB-style 2A supply in the store yet. We can exchange the 2A supply you have for another 1A supply.
Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread to arrange it.

eagletree

Post by eagletree »

I see, no need to do an exchange, I'll just order another 1A if that will solve the problem. I can find an adaptor to make the 2A supply work too I think. But technically, my single 1A supply should be fine for powering both the Pi and the Monitor, correct? If so, that leaves me with the other problem, the Pi will not boot in a manner that I see anything on the screen (nor will it work headless). Does this indicate that the NOOBS SD I purchased is not compatible with the B+? If that is true, is the guidance to create my own Raspbian Distribution and overlay the one I purchased? I didn't really want NOOBS anyway, I was just hoping that this thing would work out of the box and you were out of the Raspbian SD.

In one of your articles, you mention tweaking a config.txt. Does that apply to your NOOBS SD product? It appeared that was just to have the correct resolution. This monitor displays nothing after the "no signal" screen.

adafruit_support_rick

No - I think you need to use a separate 1A supply for the screen. I don't think the Pi can put out that much power on the USB port.

You'll probably have to wait until you've got a monitor before you can proceed with getting NOOBS set up. Can you connect it to a TV?

eagletree

Post by eagletree »

If that is all it is, then I certainly can. I have a couple of HDMI screens available.

How does one contact you for additional pre-sales questions. It's difficult to navigate what is compatible with what when first starting out. Is this forum appropriate for that? When I get the Pi up, I will want to order compatible prototyping board and cables, and it appears that the B+ requires different boards and cables. I can't really tell from the catalog what to get (the problem with having such a wide variety of offerings).

adafruit_support_rick

This is the place to ask!

We really don't have anything specific to the B+ in the store yet. It will take a while to get things added - a few months at least.

eagletree

Post by eagletree »

Thank you. I ordered another 1A supply overnight so I should be covered. I ordered a female PS connector to USB which will eventually let me use the 2A supply too.

Won't be doing any prototyping yet so I'll just watch your store for offerings.

Thanks again.

Edit: using a different monitor, NOOBS booted just fine. Raspbian installed (after one failed attempt where the power or SD was not seated well). Very nice package.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”