My Cupcade Addiction

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Bel_Z_Bub

My Cupcade Addiction

Post by Bel_Z_Bub »

Hello, I absolutly love the Cupcade project and just wanted to show you all my version so far...

Its battery powered, chargable with any micro usb source (1A charge rate), has a screensaver/standy/shutdown mode (deactivated when plugged into external power source), low battery warning, light effects: marguee acts like an old tube light when it goes on and blinks every now and then in idle mode, mixed colors slowly morph and light up the case (pink/purple/orange etc), charge indicator led, volume control, power switch, a few more pinch buttons (hold two) to turn on/off lights, pause game etc. and gamera has an extra bar with real time and battery status. probably some more stuff I forgot..

Its all added to retrogame and gamera and only adds arround 0.2 cpu usage when the color changing is running but it only does it on idle with external power source, otherwise not noticable. I used the p5 header for all the extra hardware functionality. further I added a few usefull additions and scripts to advmame.rc

These pics are already old, things changed a bit. And I'm already working on a redesign of the circuit as I kept adding things to my original design things are starting to get messy lol, I would have organised it a bit different if I knew that upfront :/. Piano black case is ready and waiting for it.

Besides some breadboard/pi projects this is my first real electronics/soldering project, originally a beta version of Cupcade. Cant believe it all works :D Thanks Adafruit for all the great tutorials and products!!

adafruit_support_rick

Re: My Cupcade Addiction

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Nice build!

tastewar

Post by tastewar »

Tooooo awesome. I want! Want the sticker, want the lights! Want the UPS! Want the code! Is this documented somewhere? I have a USB chargeable powerbank on order. That will make it portable, but won't be as awesome as being able to detect when it's on battery vs. plugged in. Nice job!!

egutting

Post by egutting »

I have to agree, this is an AWESOME build!!!

Bel_Z_Bub

Post by Bel_Z_Bub »

Wow thanks all for the awesome feedback!! Also thanks for posting it on the community pages!! :)

I will share some more details on what's inside and artwork soon. And the code as soon as i think its presentable :D

radod

Post by radod »

Where did you get the clear case?!!!

Bel_Z_Bub

Post by Bel_Z_Bub »

RadOD wrote:Where did you get the clear case?!!!
I measured my original cupcade with a caliper and drew out all the parts in illustrator, made all changes and additions I wanted, rendered all the parts in 3D to see if it all fit right and then mailed the combined drawing to a laser cutter company.

pwborders

Post by pwborders »

That is really a great build. I am very envious of the clear case. Do you remember about what it cost from the laser cutter? Also, would you be willing to share the parts diagrams you sent to the laser cutter?

Either way that is a really impressive version of the cupcade, keep up the good work.

PeteB

radod

Post by radod »

I like how you moved the buttons in front. Other than the lighting, what else did you change?

Bel_Z_Bub

Post by Bel_Z_Bub »

pwborders wrote:That is really a great build. I am very envious of the clear case. Do you remember about what it cost from the laser cutter? Also, would you be willing to share the parts diagrams you sent to the laser cutter?

Either way that is a really impressive version of the cupcade, keep up the good work.

PeteB
Thanks so much! :)

The clear one was arround 35 euros, I had a few colors cut at once and material/color prices vary majorly. the black one was a lot more. I feel I shouldnt publish the diagrams out of respect to the original designer and adafruits business. It would be up to them as 90% is the same. Willing to share all details on the changes/additions.

However about a day after I send out my order to the cutter a pdf was published on the Details and Errata page which would have saved me a lot of work and might get you a big step in the right direction. Also happy to share how I intergrated the usb breakout into the case etc and answer any question about the rest.

Bel_Z_Bub

Post by Bel_Z_Bub »

RadOD wrote:I like how you moved the buttons in front. Other than the lighting, what else did you change?
Thanks! :) The speaker panel changed, the back is all the way closed, custom micro usb port (adafruit breakout board), protected, guided sd slot, large vent holes in the bottom plate below the pi. led holes in the front panel so those buttons are moved a bit more apart.

here's a pic of the back, I didnt post it before becuase the volume cutout apears rough but thats actually the little holes in the piece of perma proto beneath mirroring in the edge. I need to mask it a little better still.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

it's ok to post them! just want to clarify for all potential clear-cupcade fans that the parts list is much different and that we dont have any tutorial or support or kit for this project plan :)

radod

Post by radod »

Any updates? I'd really like to learn how to make one of these!

Bel_Z_Bub

Post by Bel_Z_Bub »

RadOD wrote:Any updates? I'd really like to learn how to make one of these!
its taking a while but I'm working really hard on it!

I'm finishing up my final version, made some adjustments to the circuit as well as the case. added to more hardware buttons next to the screen (or below when in landscape mode) and some major improvements on the code. I'm going to write a tutorial with partslist and schematics and of course the case drawings. I rather be sure about things before I send it out into the world and more people stumble into the same troubles. Thanks for the patience and awesome feedback so far!

There were also some hard choices I had to make on pins/vs softwarematic and placement of components. I will probably leave these choices in with jumpers and simple variable changes in the code, or publish more versions of a components schematic so the builder can make theses choices on their own.

Here's a pic of the inside, I just finished it earlier this week and I'm almost happy lol. As its quite an expensive build, I spend really a lot of time in the design so its a like a puzzle locking together with headers. All parts are really easy to remove so you can replace them or (temporary) re-use them for other projects or tests, while its still quite compact so it can fit smaller cases as well.

here you can see the new menu with clock and battery status indicator

more updates soon!
Last edited by Bel_Z_Bub on Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”