Raspberry Pi 2.8 TFT touchscreen with PiTFT Enclosure

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Kodin

Raspberry Pi 2.8 TFT touchscreen with PiTFT Enclosure

Post by Kodin »

I've been loving my 2.8" PiTFT shield, after a bit of calibration issues got smoothed out, and when I saw the PiTFT enclosure it just got that much better.

The only problem is that when I try to use the touch screen on the upper right corner, the shield will lean because there is nothing supporting it.
https://www.adafruit.com/products/1892
IMG_20140731_165813[1].jpg
IMG_20140731_165813[1].jpg (651.91 KiB) Viewed 426 times
However, I notice there are 3 extrusions that hold space between the TFT shield and case top, with holes that could possible accommodate small screws. Especially since the holes appear to line up perfectly.
I'm wondering if some support screws or plugs might be made available or intended for the shield to be held in place
IMG_20140731_165620[1].jpg
IMG_20140731_165620[1].jpg (665.08 KiB) Viewed 426 times

adafruit2

Re: Raspberry Pi 2.8 TFT touchscreen with PiTFT Enclosure

Post by adafruit2 »

Yah, its not easy to support from below with the Pi due to the big chunky connectors all on the bottom left corner. You can try using tape to tape that corner to the PiTFT bezel if you just need a little more support. for more than that, some small screws can help - we don't include those because we don't press as hard but will look into it if it's a common issue!

Kodin

Post by Kodin »

Pressing just enough to register the tap is enough to tilt the shield in my experience, maybe the GPIO plug on my txt shield is just not holding onto the Raspberry Pi pins well enough.

Anyway, since those 3 holes on the enclosure seemed perfect for small screws, I thought that some hardware may have been unintentionally forgotten.
I was fortunate to find 2 that fit amongst my scrap hardware.

Thank you for replying.

asez73

Post by asez73 »

Hello, I have this problem too. However, I can't easily find some screws short enough for this fixture and I would not like to break the case.
Could you tell us the type / diameters / length required for those 3 screws so that I purchase appropriated one's on the internet.
I don't think those are expensives, yet trial / errors are a pure waste of time...
Thanks per advance for your answer.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

try 4-40 screws, 1/8" long - available in any hardware store. M2.5 may also work if you can't get 4-40 screws.

asez73

Post by asez73 »

Thank you, just need to find it now...

gbuesing

Post by gbuesing »

I definitely think the screws should be included with this kit, for the following reasons:

1. Whenever you touch, even softly, the screen gives a bit -- sure, it still works, but this feels fragile and cheesy. If I'm going to the trouble of putting a project into a case, I want it to feel a bit more finished than this.

2. The necessary screws are actually not that easy to find. My local hardware store only has 4-40s as small as 1/4inch. Same with radioshack.com. (Amazon.com does have them, but only in lots of 1000+ for > $100. Not an option for your average hobbyist!)

3. I tried the Scotch tape fix -- required more than just a little tape to get it to feel solid (see attached photo.) This is better, but took effort to tape it to the case so that the screen lines up properly. 3 screws would be much easier and more solid.
Attachments
tft_taped.jpg
tft_taped.jpg (60.24 KiB) Viewed 314 times

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

OK thanks for the suggestion, we'll do that!

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”