pir sensor is not useful

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
mali

pir sensor is not useful

Post by mali »

Hi,

Tks for your product and the forum..I prepare a course regarding offline and online..a newbee for raspberry pi..
A weird thing happen when i try to use the pir sensor as nothing really happen but as long as i shake a bit the gpio cable, it sends movements to ga !

See the short video here : http://www.screencast.com/t/v2vHtERl9o

Tks for your help..

Franklin97355

Re: pir sensor is not useful

Post by Franklin97355 »

Looks like you have a loose connection. move the cobbler to a different position on the breadboard or try female jumpers directly to the pi.

mali

Post by mali »

hi,

tks for the reply..

Looks like you have a loose connection. move the cobbler to a different position : i've done it already ..

...or try female jumpers directly to the pi. : you mean to remove the gpio cable and instead replace it with female jumpers to pi side (which pins are involved in this case ?) and breadboard side matching female jumpers directly to the cobler ?

Tks again..

mali

Post by mali »

hello..

Just a little up ...as i 'am not sure at all about the setting of the jumpers between pi and cobbler..

Tks in advance for your help !

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I believe Franklin was suggesting to replace the cobbler entirely with jumpers directly to the Pi.

If you post some clear photos showing all of your soldering and connections we might be able to spot the problem.

mali

Post by mali »

Hi bill

Ok, so i have to remove the cobbler ? ...So to connect directly the pi to the pir sensor ? ..The 3 jumpers will go to the GPIO instead. No need to use the breadboard ?Here 3 photos : http://www.screencast.com/t/mm5RXRuEHvmT

Tks for your help again..

adafruit_support_bill

The 3 jumpers will go to the GPIO instead. No need to use the breadboard ?
Yes. With fewer connections, there is less of an opportunity for a bad connection.

mali

Post by mali »

1/ ok if i understand, i need female jumpers both sides to complete this ?

2/ Do you think that the problem is coming from :
a/ the cobbler
b/ the breadboard
c/ the cable ...As you can see on the video, it seems that as you move the cable, the signal goes through the app GA.

I 'd like to know the source of the trouble to replace pieces for future experiences..(No means to test ?)

Regards

adafruit_support_bill

2/ Do you think that the problem is coming from :
a/ the cobbler
b/ the breadboard
c/ the cable ...As you can see on the video, it seems that as you move the cable, the signal goes through the app GA.
Yes. Clearly there is a loose connection there somewhere. And a loose connection by definition involves at least two components. As you move the cable, it is pulling on the cobbler which is plugged into the breadboard. It is not clear from the video which connection is causing the problem.

Counting the solder joints, there are 21 connections between your Pi and the PIR. Using a set of female to female jumpers directly from the Pi to the PIR reduces the number of connections from 21 to 6. That reduces the probability of a bad connection considerably..

Other things you can try are:
Removing and re-connecting both ends of the cable.
Make sure all connectors are firmly seated in their sockets.
Moving the cobbler to a different section of the breadboard and re-constructing the circuit there.
Post photos showing your soldering to the cobbler.

mali

Post by mali »

hi,

Tks..here the way i connect the jumpers : http://www.screencast.com/t/aNRMeQmyYCM ..

tks for your opinion.

Rgds

adafruit_support_bill

And is is working OK now?

mali

Post by mali »

hi..
i can't tell you :(
And i'm afraid that i won't succeed anymore, i've only a red light on, no boot or whatsoever...before this issue, i tried to boot the pi with a cable like that https://www.adafruit.com/products/1151 to another vga monitor (up to now, i was with a male hdmi) to no avail..So i set back the hdmi ...and nothing since..

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

I would remove everything connected to the Pi--all the cobbler, GPIO, USB, etc. devices and just connect a video output to a monitor. Then remove and carefully reinsert the SD card to be sure it's seated well. Try powering it up after doing that as it will help ensure there wasn't something moved or shorted which prevented the Pi from booting.

mali

Post by mali »

hi,

I set up 2 tests :
First one : as you said, removing all the devices except the sd card : result : -> at the begining, the green light start blinking some sec. and then stopped but the red one start blinking also and never stopped unless i unplug the pi : :(
Second one : i did the same thing but with mouse + keywords plugged : reseult -> only red one blinking again...
So..no boot at all :(

really appreciate your help....

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

Thanks for checking--it sounds like a blinking red light means the power supply powering the Raspberry Pi isn't providing enough power. Can you try using a different 5 volt power supply to power the Pi?

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”