Onion-Pi

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Finnius

Onion-Pi

Post by Finnius »

Hey folks,
Does the auto-setup script provided for the onion-pi complete ALL necessary steps on a freshly imaged sd card - or do i still need to setup the Pi as an access point THEN run the script.
I found it unclear in the instructions page.
Thanks

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Onion-Pi

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

You mean the script for installing Tor? You still need to do the AP setup before you run that

Finnius

Post by Finnius »

Ok, thanks.
I have been fighting to get the AP working before i try the tor script again.
It appears to be working fine - i have an IP and internet access, but the speed is very slow through the Pi, and there is also some packet loss.
I am using an external powered USB hub, so it is not a power problem.
Any thoughts?

Finnius

Post by Finnius »

The speed is acceptable, however i have ran the Onion Pi script and connected to the AP however windows shows the network to not have internet access.
I was under the impression that the Onion Pi was a transparent proxy - so windows should show it as having an internet connection - without specifying proxy settings in internet options.
Why cant i access the internet through the onion pi?
A hint mabye that the AP is still showing up as "Pi-Ap" instead of "Onion Pi" which i think the script would have changed it to?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

TOR isn't a general transparent proxy. It only works for TCP connections and applications with SOCKS support.

Finnius

Post by Finnius »

Ok thanks,
So when i login to the Pi_Ap do i need to then direct my web browser to the Pi's IP and port? It didn't say anything about that in the onion pi instructions?
A ready made sd card image (known working) for the onoin pi would be a good idea.

adafruit_support_mike

A preconfigured image would only work if your upstream connection, wireless device, and WAP settings matched the ones built into the image.

The TOR proxy automatically redirects TCP/IP connections that come in through the wireless interface to the TOR network, so it's transparent in that sense. There are a lot of things you can do on a network that don't happen through TCP/IP though.

Finnius

Post by Finnius »

Ok thanks.
As i mentioned earlier i have followed the tutorial twice and each time a win7 PC can connect to the AP but there is no internet access?

adafruit_support_mike

Let's take a look at some diagnostics.. what do you get from `ifconfig -a` on the RasPi?

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”