Adafruit RPi - Arduini Interface

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
RussellJames

Adafruit RPi - Arduini Interface

Post by RussellJames »

I am in the planning stage of building a Pi based robot and have been reviewing Adafruit RPi and Arduino products to determine if there is an Adafruit RPi - Ardunio interface board available to allow the robot to use Arduino shields.

Or, as an alternative I was trying to identify Adafruit products that would allow the Pi to control servos/ motors and receive input from analog sensors to give the robot the ability to navigate autonomously.

Sorting out this dilemma will then allow me to plan for powering the robot.

Please point me in the right direction.

Thank you.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Adafruit RPi - Arduini Interface

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The only effective hardware bridge between a RasPi and an arbitrary Arduino shield is an Arduino.

The RasPi's microprocessor is too different from the Arduino's microcontroller to make a straight adapter possible. If you want to use shields that communicate via I2C/SPI/UART, the RasPi is capable of speaking those protocols, so you can migrate the code over using the Arduino version as a working reference.

The RasPi has no onboard ADC though, so you'll need an external device for that no matter what.

The RasPi/Arduino combo is a fairly popular one for systems that combine hardware control with complex logic. The RasPi is smart, the Arduino is good at talking to other hardware, and they both speak enough common protocols that you can get information from one to the other.

RussellJames

Re: Adafruit RPi - Arduini Interface

Post by RussellJames »

Your response was very helpful.

Thanks

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”