Bluetooth 4.0 USB/piBeacon issues

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Dave_P

Bluetooth 4.0 USB/piBeacon issues

Post by Dave_P »

I just purchased the bluetooth usb module and followed the piBeacon tutorial. I encountered similar issues to the "Help with iBeacon/Bluetooth setup" thread. My feeling is that everything is the tutorial is correct up to the final step on page 14 using the iOS Beacon Toolkit. That app, which now costs $0.99, does not appear to work well and seems to get confused between the beacon set up with hcitool and the usb device itself. I also saw a device named CSR8510 A10 and it kept giving (I suspect) the dongle UUID and not the beacon. I used a new ipod touch and tried two other applications BLE utility and Locate. Neither toolkit or locate showed a beacon and utility showed the dongle info. As soon as I tried Beacon Scout on android everything worked. I even changed the major code of the E20A....A961 UUID and broadcast the default UUID from toolkit and they both showed up. I think the tutorial should be brought up to date with several (hopefully working) options to test the device.

ktownsend

Re: Bluetooth 4.0 USB/piBeacon issues

Post by ktownsend »

I tried this out myself just now and I can see the data advertising properly when I use a BLE sniffer, so everything is OK on the Pi side as far as I can tell, but iOS is definitely strange. I wonder if Apple hasn't changed something in a recent update (since you say it also works fine on Android)?

Dave_P

Post by Dave_P »

Thanks Kevin. Agreed the pi side is ok. I wrote a labview vi (which I am not able to post)
under windows 7 that looks good. Also add bluetooth device under windows 7 is another quick way to see what is there.

ktownsend

Post by ktownsend »

Dave_P

Post by Dave_P »

Here you can see that the ipod sees the dongle (not the beacon) while on android it properly sees the beacon. I think this is an iOS issue(7.1.2). If anyone
gets it working please supply the details.
Attachments
IMG_20140907_123934_726.jpg
IMG_20140907_123934_726.jpg (646.15 KiB) Viewed 217 times

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”