Pi TFT Capactive... White Screen No Boot

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
twfmvm

Pi TFT Capactive... White Screen No Boot

Post by twfmvm »

Hello, a few weeks back i purchased a Pi TFT Capactive touch screen kit. I've been having problems getting it to display to the screen, including when i run sudo modprobe spi- and i2c- commands as said on the installation procedure. I've tried the easy install also(the capactive touch version of the raspbian image). That image didn't boot though. So I reinstalled Raspbian and went through the detailed installation procedure again. Same result. Later on today I'll post some pictures of the solder connections. And also i know you may want to see the dmesg log. How do i copy the results of the dmesg log? (if necessary)

-Travis

EDIT: Also, when i touch the touchscreen the cursor DOES move. I'm just not getting a response from the screen itself.

twfmvm

Re: Pi TFT Capactive... White Screen No Boot

Post by twfmvm »

Here are some pictures of the soldering:ImageImage

twfmvm

Post by twfmvm »

*bump*

linuxworks

Post by linuxworks »

I would seriously reflow those connections. they don't look good (sorry to say).

hint: buy some solder flux (amber stuff in a tub is pretty good; its thick, not liquid). dab some along the length of the connector on the solder side and touch up (no more solder needed!) each connection. the flux will sizzle and reflow the joints. you'll get much better results that way and you will be able to trust it, more, too.

HTH

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Those joints do need to be redone.

The ones that pinch in at the bottom, where they should make contact with the PCB, might not have any connection to the actual pad. Take a look at our tutorial on soldering for tips: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-gui ... -soldering

twfmvm

Post by twfmvm »

I picked up some soldering flux today. I'm going to try it out and then post the results. Thanks for being polite about it yall! I kept checking those connections but i didn't want to make it any worse. Hopefully the flux cleans things up :)

adafruit_support_mike

Hey, everyone has to learn the basics somewhere. In many ways, learning to do something right just means running out of ways to do it wrong.

I make plenty of twisted messes when trying to do something new. I've learned to look at them and think, "with any luck, that's the worst one of those I'll ever make in my life." Then I move on to making my next-worst one. Sooner or later the results end up being pretty good, and I start looking for ways to set a new personal worst.

twfmvm

Post by twfmvm »

Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction! I did a lot of research about the science behind soldering and different techniques. I ended up getting a new soldering iron and fixed the solder with flux (which helped a whole lot because i had been using lead-free). I booted it up and ran the screen test and it worked!

But, touching the screen will only barely move the cursor. I thought the capacitive touch didn't need to be calibrated? I haven't searched the forum for this yet. But hey maybe someone knows this one off the top of their head ;)

adafruit_support_mike

Glad to hear that retouching the joints worked. Lead-free solder is tricky stuff to work with, even for someone with plenty of experience. Good old 60/40 is much easier when you're starting.

I'm not sure about needing to calibrate the capacitive touchscreen.. I haven't had a chance to play with that display much yet. I'll ask someone from the products team to see if they have any ideas.

For sake of comparison, could you post a photo of the new solder joints please?

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Calibration of the screen is not necessary. Actually, I don't even think it's possible.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

You shouldn't have to calibrate the display. If you're getting sporadic readings, check that you have the capacitive INT line soldered nicely. Thats the pin that tells the Pi "hey its time to read a touchpoint!"

https://learn.adafruit.com/system/asset ... 1405978442

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”