PiTFT - Start X on HDMI instead of PiTFT

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
marv_mcd

PiTFT - Start X on HDMI instead of PiTFT

Post by marv_mcd »

Hello,

I'm using a PiTFT with my Raspberry Pi and mostly it is working fine - I've set it to auto boot to the desktop when it is turned on.
However, I'd now like to 'disable' the TFT and use the HDMI instead but I can't get it to work.
I've tried calling FRAMEBUFFER=/dev/fb0 startx & as per the FAQ, and moving the .conf file, but without success.
I've also tried disabling the call to fbtft_device in /etc/modules but then I can't start the desktop at all...In this case it starts up correctly and keeps outputting to the HDMI whilst in the command line but a call to startx then generates the error.

Can anyone help please? I just want an easy way to choose whether the PiTFT gets used or not.

Thanks,

Martin

adafruit_support_mike

Re: PiTFT - Start X on HDMI instead of PiTFT

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The "FRAMEBUFFER=/dev/fb0 startx &" line should do it..

How did you set things up so it would boot to the PiTFT? Did you call that version of `startx` from /etc/rc.local, a crontab, or some other source?

marv_mcd

Post by marv_mcd »

Thank you for the help. Because I've changed the default user from pi I don't use raspi-config to boot to the desktop but I did have the /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-pitft.conf in place.
That meant that everytime I called 'startx' from the command line (or from within crontab), or 'FRAMEBUFFER=/dev/fb0 startx' it would always use the PiTFT. Now I've removed this file it works perfectly and I can choose which framebuffer is used for X.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Glad to hear it's working for you.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”