Power Supply Question

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
mothermapper

Power Supply Question

Post by mothermapper »

Thanks Adafruit for replacing the display (pid 1667) that was not working. I hooked it up to the power supply (pid 63) and the display works fine. However when I went to unplug the power supply it was extremely hot. I measured it with my temperature gun and it was 150 to 170 degrees F. Can this be the correct operating temperature?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Power Supply Question

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

What is the voltage and current rating of your power supply?

mothermapper

Post by mothermapper »

The specifications are 9 VDC 1000mA regulated switching power adapter - UL listed PRODUCT ID: 63. It was the recommended power supply for the display (pid 1667).

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The power supply will be running at close to maximum output with that display, so I would expect it to get pretty warm. I don't have an operating temperature spec for that supply, but 80C is typical.

mothermapper

Post by mothermapper »

These temperatures are able to cause burns. Surely this can not be correct for the recommended power supply for the display. I checked 10 other power bricks and the all were between 75°F and 90°F. My point in raising this issue is that either my power supply has an problem or this is the wrong power supply recommendation for the display. I'm sure Adafruit does not suggest using products that are likely to cause injuries. Just to be clear this power supply, PID 63, was recommended for display PID 1667.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

mothermapper wrote:These temperatures are able to cause burns. Surely this can not be correct for the recommended power supply for the display. I checked 10 other power bricks and the all were between 75°F and 90°F. My point in raising this issue is that either my power supply has an problem or this is the wrong power supply recommendation for the display. I'm sure Adafruit does not suggest using products that are likely to cause injuries. Just to be clear this power supply, PID 63, was recommended for display PID 1667.
it sounds like maybe it was damaged - lets get you a new power supply stat! email support@adafruit for a new supply, and throw out the one you have.

mothermapper

Post by mothermapper »

Thanks Adafruit for the replacement power supply. It works fine with a max temp of 100-110F.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

awseome, thanks for following up, it helps us figure out stuff :)

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”