Is my Pi A+ dead?

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
jmn

Is my Pi A+ dead?

Post by jmn »

I just got a new Raspberry Pi A+ (yea), and tried to fire it up. Based on my experience with a B+, I expected a light to come on, followed by the boot process. But the light doesn't come on. The power adapter works find with my B+, so I don't think that is the problem. Am I wrong to expect the pwr light to come on?

jmn

Re: Is my Pi A+ dead?

Post by jmn »

Another observation: with the power on, part of the board that is close to where the power plugs in gets pretty warm.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

What voltage do you see on the 5v GPIO pin?

jmn

Post by jmn »

I am seeing about 1/10 of a volt.

adafruit_support_mike

That's very dead.. when did you order it?

jmn

Post by jmn »

Nov 15th.

jmn

Post by jmn »

What happens from here?

adafruit_support_mike

Send a note to [email protected] with a link to this thread and the folks there will get you a new A+.

Fair warning: we haven't really isolated a hardware defect on it, so if the replacement fails we'll have to assume they're being killed by something in the operating environment.

jmn

Post by jmn »

A+ was out of stock for a while, so it took me a while to re-order and get a new one. I did do that, and got the new one. And I have the same problem. I tried many power adapters, and verified that they all work with a rasberry pi b+ that I have from a previous project. Are A+s more particular about their power? could I have gotten 2 bad ones? that seems unlikely doesn't it? Both of my A+s don't have more than 0.1 volts on the GPIO pins. I went searching for troubleshooting tips, but for me I don't even get the red power light to turn on so I don't get very far. Any thoughts?

adafruit_support_mike

The rate of production errors in RasPis that make it into the wild is about 0.1%, so the chance of getting two duds in a row from different production lots is phenomenally low.

What are you using as a GND refererence when measuring the voltage on the 5v pin?

jmn

Post by jmn »

I was comparing pins 2 and 39. I also tried comparing TP1 and TP2, with the same results.

adafruit_support_mike

Those pins read 5v on the one I just checked..

Let's try one more time, but I want to take a personal look at the two that aren't working.

Send another note to [email protected] with a link to this thread. The folks there will arrange return shipping for the two you have now, and get another on its way to you.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

jmn, can you post a photo of your power regulator? what was the A+ sitting on when you powered them up? did you place them on the silver bag that they came in?

jmn

Post by jmn »

Here is a pic of the first adapter I tried. I ended up trying a bunch, but this is the one I got from you guys, so I went with that. I had the same results with other adapters, including one that runs a B+ pi. The work surface is also pictured, the formica counter top. I didn't put it on the silver bag. I thought it was probably conductive and therefore a bad idea.
Attachments
adapter2.jpg
adapter2.jpg (1007.77 KiB) Viewed 332 times

jmn

Post by jmn »

I never heard back. Where are we on this subject?

thanks
John

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”