PiTFT enclosure attachment screws

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
michaelmeissner

PiTFT enclosure attachment screws

Post by michaelmeissner »

I bought an earlier PiTFT enclosure that did not come with screws to mount the TFT display into the top plate. There are 3 holes in the TFT and corresponding circular areas in the top panel. In your page for the current product, you mention including two 1/4" 4-40 screws (presumably for mounting the TFT). Are these screws machine screws (i.e. are there threads in the 3 mounting posts that these screws attach to), or are these screws like wood screws where they make their own threads as you screw them in? I wasn't able to find screws that fit the holes and were small enough at my local hardware store. Before searching at bigger hardware stores, I wanted to know if possible, what is the exact screw that works with the PiTFT enclosure lid?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: PiTFT enclosure attachment screws

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Honestly, it doesn't matter whether the holes are tapped or not.

In plastic studs, pretty much *any* metal screw is self-tapping. If you use a regular screw that just displaces the plastic, you end up with what are called 'formed threads'. Forcing the plastic to move does produce some hoop stress in the stud, but the thread depth of a 4-40 screw is so shallow it shouldn't cause any problems.

What you want is a basic 1/4" 4-40 pan-head screw.

A 1/4" 4-40 wood screw might work, but you'd need to make sure enough full-diameter thread extends past the bottom of the PCB to get a bite in the plastic.

michaelmeissner

Re: PiTFT enclosure attachment screws

Post by michaelmeissner »

Thanks.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”