Motor Control for Pi

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
woolfel

Motor Control for Pi

Post by woolfel »

I tried searching the forum and couldn't find an answer, so I'm hoping someone can help me. I just bought a raspberry pi B+ and need a motor control unit that can handle atleast 4 medium/small motors for a autonomous robot with computer vision.

Is there something like the adafruit motor shield v2 for pi?

If there isn't a pi motor shield, is RasPi robot board stackable/chainable?

I could use a breadboard and several dual H-Bridge motor L293D, but I don't know which option would work better.

thanks

peter

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Motor Control for Pi

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The Adafruit V2 motor shield communicates via i2c and has a 3.3v logic level jumper selection. So you can control it from the Pi. We do not ave a Pi port of the motor library at this time. But we do have a Pi lib for thee PCA9865 which is used to control the on-board H-bridges.

woolfel

Post by woolfel »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:The Adafruit V2 motor shield communicates via i2c and has a 3.3v logic level jumper selection. So you can control it from the Pi. We do not ave a Pi port of the motor library at this time. But we do have a Pi lib for thee PCA9865 which is used to control the on-board H-bridges.
thanks for the response. I'm just getting into hardware and raspberry pi. I'll have to look at the arduino library and see how hard/easy it would be to port it over to Pi. Is there a handy link for it, if not I'll dig around. If I manage to port the library over, I'll post it on my github.

thanks

peter

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

steverobey

Post by steverobey »

Is it possible to special order a RaspiRobot board either with the header not soldered, or maybe one with a stackable header instead? I understand why it is the way it is, but I'm trying to simplify my robot which is currently using an H-bridge that I made myself, three HC-SR04 rangefinders and a hardware clock, so I sort of need those extra pins. I did notice that the robot board does have a four pin header for a single HC-SR04 but as I mentioned I'm using three of them and a clock. I also mentioned that I'm trying to simplify my robot so I don't particularly want to get into all that business of using one sensor and swinging it around on a servo if I don't have to, I'd much rather use multiple sensors as I already have those and honestly, they're cheaper :)

cudmore

Post by cudmore »

I have the same question 'Is it possible to special order a RaspiRobot board either with the header not soldered, or maybe one with a stackable header instead?'

The photo on the 'RasPi Robot Board v2 by MonkMakes' product page shows the connector to the Raspberry GPIO as terminal solders (not a stacking heading), see here:

https://www.adafruit.com/products/1940

But the photo in the tutorials shows it with a stacking header, see here:

https://learn.adafruit.com/controlling- ... 2?view=all

How does this ship? I need to be able to connect addition input/output to unused pins on the Raspberry GPIO

cudmore

Post by cudmore »

I cross posted my question on github here:
https://github.com/simonmonk/raspirobot ... -109783072

And got an answer:
>> ismailuddin commented 14 minutes ago
>> The board is shipped with a tall header which you can (physically atleast) connect other pins on to it.
>> There's table in the >> README file listing which pins are used by this board, so if I'm not mistaken,
>> any pin not being used should be accessible through the header on the board for your own use..?

I guess it ships with a stacking header. I will post back here if that is not the case.

simonmonk

Post by simonmonk »

Yes, the RRB2 does come with stacking headers.

cudmore

Post by cudmore »

Thanks for the confirmation. Just ordered one and will be on my way to a roving pi...

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”