Cupcade joystick doesn't read left or down

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
infinitetape

Cupcade joystick doesn't read left or down

Post by infinitetape »

When assembled, my Cupcade won't read the joystick in the left or down directions. This happens in either gamera or mame. Here's what I've checked:

[*] I have a Rev B Pi.
[*] I tried updating retrogame anyway. It didn't help
[*] I've checked that the pots are moving when the stick is moved.
[*] I've checked that resistance changes when the each pot is moved in both directions, though the change in resistance is smaller for the directions that don't work.
[*] I've triple checked for bad solder joints on the header.

So, I'm pretty confident the stick is fine. It would be great to know which pins to look at. I know another thread said it would be difficult to trace through, but if someone could tell me the GPIO pin on the Pi, I can track it back myself and recheck that joint. That, or a schematic for the Cupcade board would be handy.

pburgess

Re: Cupcade joystick doesn't read left or down

Post by pburgess »

Left and down correspond to GPIO pins 2 and 4 (those are the Broadcom GPIO numbers, not the header pin order).

Test the continuity of the corresponding ribbon cable pins. I've very occasionally seen ones that are pinched wrong, so even if your soldering's bulletproof the issue might lie elsewhere.

Photo of the connections would still be helpful if you can get one...maybe there's a solder ball or conductive detritus somewhere.

infinitetape

Post by infinitetape »

I think I've found the cause. Looks like I managed to drop a solder ball into the legs of the larger IC on the interface board. I've done some cleanup, and I can get all four directions, but not consistently. I've likely got something too small to see down in there or I've damaged either a leg or a trace.

At least a new board's only 8 bucks!

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Post a photo of your board and we'll see if it can be saved.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”