Issues with Raspberry Pi B+ Starter Pack & Lessons

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
greenjam94

Issues with Raspberry Pi B+ Starter Pack & Lessons

Post by greenjam94 »

Hello,

I got a raspberry pi B+ and starter pack from my grandma for christmas. I started playing with the lessons offered by Simon Monk on this site and I ran into two issues.

1) halfway through setup my pi died, turns out the 5v power supply died, luckily I had a old 5v phone charger I can use; I'm surprised that the power supply failed after only maybe an hour of use.
2) after set up, now when I boot my pi up, it goes to a login screen. the user is not pi and the password is not raspberry. Theres a dropdown menu for Xsession, L-something, and Openbox, but none of these work no matter what user or password I try. I used to be able to get to terminal by hitting ctrl+Alt+F1 and the pi/raspberry worked and startx got me to a GUI but there weren't any desktop icons. After reseting the password thinking it might let me in on the initial log in, I can no longer log in to any user, not even the terminal I found by using ctrl+alt+F1. It's not because of the password I added, I made sure I'm typing it correctly.
This was from the SD card and OS that came with the starter pack. I've tried downloading the .zip file of Raspbian onto my mac, but I can't extract the .img so I can't reinstall the OS.

My question is what is the OS on the starter pack's SD card? the Sticker says Rasp 9-9-2014 and should I overwrite it with Raspbian since I'm "locked out"? If so how since the download isn't working from http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/ (I don't know how to do the .BANNED version)

Also is there anything I can do about the faulty power supply?

Thank you much,

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Issues with Raspberry Pi B+ Starter Pack & Lessons

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Hunh.. that's the first time I've heard about one of the new 2A power supplies dying. It does sound like a hardware failure though, so let's get you a new one.

Send a note to [email protected] with a link to this thread and the folks there will get you a new 5v @ 2A power supply. Let them know if you got the kind with or without a built-in micro-USB cord.

WRT the SD card, it will probably be easier to write a new OS image to it than to try cracking a misremembered or miswritten password.

If you can't unpack a zipfile from the command line in OS X, open a Terminal window, navigate to the directory where the file is located, and try `unzip [filename.zip]`.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”