Astroprint on Raspberry Pi

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Jim2386

Astroprint on Raspberry Pi

Post by Jim2386 »

Hey guys,

I just picked up a 3d printer this week and would like to print wirelessly. I saw your article on Astroprint and it seems like it fits exactly what I'd like to do. My question is, I have experience with Arduino but zero experience with raspberry pi (yet). I was wondering if this tutorial:

https://learn.adafruit.com/astroprint-3 ... g/software

lists all the required steps in order to get me up and running or are there other things not listed that someone skilled in the art of raspberry pi would already know. Also, once this is running, does the program boot on raspberry pi startup or do I have to connect it back to a HDMI tv in order to start the program?

Thanks
Jim

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Astroprint on Raspberry Pi

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Looks pretty complete. You can also have a look at our Learn Raspberry Pi tutorials, and you can always ask questions here.
https://learn.adafruit.com/category/learn-raspberry-pi

HellsHand

Post by HellsHand »

It only seems complete to me if you find "that wifi", where am I looking for that? If its on another computer then chances are that my network isnt finding it, so all I have to do is change the configuration right? Maybe where that config is would be helpful? I been messing with this thing for over an hour and Im about to call it a waste of $10 and use the sd card for something else. The best teachers are the ones that know what can go wrong. Is there someone that can give better steps than "get on that wifi"? Assuming nothing goes right, how do I proceed? I see the number on what I can only assume your calling the wifi I`m supposed to see but in reality its just the words astroprint-xxxx, can hardly call that a network, but thats on the pi`s monitor, specifics would be so great when were talking about multiple things that can display information. Basically I plugged in my pi, then looked for the elusive wifi, though due to the lack of direction Ive checked everything from computers to the chimney on my roof, nothing found. Next I find that enlightening piece of information that says, if I cant find the network I need to configure it during setup, but as far as I can tell the only setup described requires me to already be on said wifi. Did I miss something? Im not trying to be a jerk, but to be honest I am a jerk so sorry for that.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

HellsHand wrote:Im not trying to be a jerk, but to be honest I am a jerk so sorry for that.
You'll need to keep that under control if you want to participate in these forums. We have a "be excellent to each other" policy, and we enforce it.

Learning new technology can be frustrating.. we get that. Running into dead ends over and over again is no fun, nobody likes feeling helpless, and eventually you have to do something to burn off those bad feelings.

Scream into a pillow if you need to. Run a couple of miles or spend half an hour wailing on the heavy bag. Please don't bring the harshness here though.

Those of us who moderate the forums see a dozen posts a day that start with something like, "I know I'm really not worth your time, but ..." The people who write them are just starting out, and are afraid of getting slapped down for not being 'l33t enough' or something. They have to pump up their courage just to ask for help, and for every one who does there are probably ten who aren't ready yet.

When those people see a post full of harsh, it feeds directly into their fears. Our "be excellent" policy is for them.. to make them feel safe enough to ask for help with their own frustrating problems. We moderators are here to help them, and to defend them.

We're here to help you too, so let's try to unroll that ball of ARRRGH! and find a useful starting point.

It looks like you began having trouble around the "connect to the AstroPrint wifi network" stage. There are about a thousand things that might keep that from working, spanning the gamut of hardware and software on both the RasPi and the machine you're using to make the connection. We'll need to narrow that down a bit.

Do you see a network named "AstroBox-whatever" in your list of available wifi connections?

HellsHand

Post by HellsHand »

Yes the truth can be harsh, but ignoring the facts gets you nowhere in diagnostics. I ask logical questions... pick things apart. It`s always been effective, but this is obviously the wrong place for my methods. Being a jerk doesn`t mean I`m mad by the way, it means I say things people don`t like. Things they don`t wanna hear. It has nothing to do with being mad or upset, it`s simply my diagnostic method, so screaming into a pillow could only serve to hurt my throat. The way I see it protecting people from the realities of life is different from helping them, a mother that shields her child from the sun hurts them in the long run. But this is your sandbox so I`ll take my methods elsewhere.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”