RTL8188CUS and hostapd no longer works

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
nsayer

RTL8188CUS and hostapd no longer works

Post by nsayer »

I don't know what happened, but with the most recent raspberry pi kernel, the private hostapd build available for download no longer works. All I get is
ioctl[SIOCSIWMODE]: Operation not permitted
Could not set interface to mode(3)!
Could not set interface to master mode!
rtl871xdrv driver initialization failed.
rmdir[ctrl_interface]: No such file or directory
Everybody and their brother has a copy of a privately compiled hostapd and all of them fail the exact same way.

Has anyone gotten hostapd to work with Adafruit's wifi dongle at all with kernel 3.18.7+?

nsayer

Re: RTL8188CUS and hostapd no longer works

Post by nsayer »

Even compiling the download from Realtek fails. So... now what?

nsayer

Post by nsayer »

It's astonishing. There are hundreds of tutorials with more or less the exact same sequence of steps with hundreds of copies of the exact same binaries (or else the exact same instructions to build them from the exact same source) and none of them work.

Nobody else on the whole Internet is having trouble with this except me? Seriously?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

It may be a hardware problem.

Let's try a new dongle. Send a not to [email protected] with a link to this thread and the folks there will get you a replacement.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”