PI2 and PL2303TA Console

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
OHTorx

PI2 and PL2303TA Console

Post by OHTorx »

Hello, I have been trying to get my Adafruit PL2303TA USB to console cable to connect yo my new PI2 and cannot get it to work. Here is how it is connected:
PL2303TA_Connection.jpg
PL2303TA_Connection.jpg (24.07 KiB) Viewed 401 times
I am using the latest version of Raspbian, Downloaded Prolific 1.10 driver, tested on Win 8 and Win 7.

Putty COM settings were:
Speed = 11500
Data Bits = 8
Stop Bits = 1
Parity = None
Flow Control = XON/XOFF (Also tried None)

Anything obvious as to why this is not connecting?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: PI2 and PL2303TA Console

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Your connections look right.

Try a loopback test to make sure your computer is talking to the cable.. disconnect everything from the RasPi and plug a jumper between the TX and RX lines. Anything you send out should come back as input.

paulf8080

Post by paulf8080 »

This is always confusing to me. The console says TX is an output. Does the PI say TX is an output, too? If so, the wires should be crossed. TX>RX and RX<TX

OHTorx

Post by OHTorx »

adafruit_support_mike wrote:Your connections look right.

Try a loopback test to make sure your computer is talking to the cable.. disconnect everything from the RasPi and plug a jumper between the TX and RX lines. Anything you send out should come back as input.

I created the loopback and I got my text echo'd to me.

OHTorx

Post by OHTorx »

paulf8080 wrote:This is always confusing to me. The console says TX is an output. Does the PI say TX is an output, too? If so, the wires should be crossed. TX>RX and RX<TX

I agree, I could not find documentation on if White = "connect to TxD" or White = "TxD and you need to connect it to target RxD"

adafruit_support_mike

UART connections work like a telephone: TX is the part you talk into, RX is the part you listen to.

To make two devices communicate, you have to connect the "talks into" to the "listens to". Connecting TX/TX and RX/RX is like shouting into someone's mouth and listening to their ear.

OHTorx

Post by OHTorx »

adafruit_support_mike wrote:UART connections work like a telephone: TX is the part you talk into, RX is the part you listen to.

To make two devices communicate, you have to connect the "talks into" to the "listens to". Connecting TX/TX and RX/RX is like shouting into someone's mouth and listening to their ear.

I fully understand Rxd and Txd seeing how I am the only guy that gets shipped out to make custom Serial cables in our warehouses. My point was around there is no documentation stating the white wire is the PL2303TA 's Tx or Rx lead. If I am missing this please let me know where it is.

Now back to my original question with connecting to the PI... if a loop back works is there something that has to be enabled on the PI? Is my picture of the connections accurate? My notes on the right 'Serial White to TxD' is based off a adafruit learning blog.

Thanks

adafruit_support_mike

Your connections are right.

The RasPi's Serial console does have to be enabled at boot time, but that's the default option. If you aren't sure, run `sudo raspi-config` and explicity enable it.

OHTorx

Post by OHTorx »

Ran the raspi-config, enabled it yet no console access. Any other suggestions?

adafruit_support_mike

Let's make sure it took.. if you enter `dmesg | grep AMA0`, do you get a line like:

Code: Select all

[    1.101789] console [ttyAMA0] enabled

dbred4321

Post by dbred4321 »

I could not get the serial com 7 port to work with Putty. I used the 168.192.x.xx address of the PI.

adafruit_support_mike

The serial console isn't a network connection. It's a hardware connection to the RasPi's UART/Serial pins:

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruits-ra ... sole-cable

OHTorx

Post by OHTorx »

adafruit_support_mike wrote:Let's make sure it took.. if you enter `dmesg | grep AMA0`, do you get a line like:

Code: Select all

[    1.101789] console [ttyAMA0] enabled
I actually got nothing. Tried on another PI and got results. So Looks like I got a bad Pi or zapped it some how.

Thanks for all the help. I hope this helps others in the future.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”