Replaced Interface Board Still no Power

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
billjo

Replaced Interface Board Still no Power

Post by billjo »

I have replaced the interface board and triple checked all solder joints and verified joystick connection. Connected the Interface board to the PTFT and as soon as I connect power it blinks and shuts off. If I connect power without the Interface board everything boots up fine. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bill
Attachments
IMG_0675.JPG
IMG_0675.JPG (350.37 KiB) Viewed 475 times
IMG_0673.JPG
IMG_0673.JPG (236.72 KiB) Viewed 475 times
IMG_0672.JPG
IMG_0672.JPG (280.25 KiB) Viewed 475 times

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Replaced Interface Board Still no Power

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

What are you using for a power supply? You may not have enough power.

billjo

Post by billjo »

I am using a 5v 2amp power supply.

adafruit_support_rick

Well, then, you must have a short-circuit someplace. The joystick and interface board look fine from what I can see, but I can't see everything in those pictures.

How about with just the interface board and not the joystick? Does it boot then?

billjo

Post by billjo »

With the joystick disconnected and the interface board connected it does not come on. Once the interface board is removed it powers up fine. Any other ideas?

Thanks
Bill

adafruit_support_rick

So, there's somethign wrong with the interface board. Can you post some more clear, detailed picture of both sides of the interface board with no wires attached?

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Weird, this is some bizarre Twilight Zone stuff going on. Seemingly a short circuit but I couldn't tell you where. Your soldering looks impeccable.

Try unplugging the joystick wires at the Cupcade interface board end (i.e. should just be interface board plugged into back of display, no wires) then turn it on. I know the Pi gets annoyed and won't boot in this configuration, but you should at least get a power-on LED from it. Does that happen?

Do you have a multimeter with a continuity beeper mode?

adafruit_support_rick

Phil - billjo already tried it with the joystick unplugged. It doesn't work. The problem must be in the interface board somewhere.

billjo

Post by billjo »

Here are pictures of the interface board, is it possible that something is wrong on the PTFT? And yes I know the header is soldered on the wrong side, but for testing that was not something I was concerned about.

Bill
Attachments
IB2.JPG
IB2.JPG (433.57 KiB) Viewed 364 times
IB1.jpg
IB1.jpg (683.59 KiB) Viewed 364 times

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

I suppose it's possible there's something amiss with the PiTFT, but can't think of anything offhand that would manifest this way.

Try this: take the PiTFT out of the equation. Plug the interface board directly into the ribbon cable to the Pi and see if it starts up (watch for power/busy lights). No video of course, but we're just looking for those status lights and can decide on some further diagnostics from there.

If no lights: interface board trouble.
If lights: PiTFT trouble.

Something else to try: the PiTFT and interface board might be one pin out of skew; the shroud is designed for the width of a ribbon cable, but that plug-in header off the PiTFT is narrower than that and has some wiggle room. Hard to tell from the angle and lighting, but it looks like that's a possibility.
pins.jpg
pins.jpg (41.93 KiB) Viewed 354 times

billjo

Post by billjo »

When the interface board is plugged directly into the ribbon cable the Raspberry Pi stays on and the green light flashes.

Thanks
Bill

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Okay. I suspect it's the alignment of the interface board onto the PiTFT. Can't quite tell 100% from the photo, but does look like it might be off by one pin. It's normal for there to be a little air gap at both ends of the shroud since the PiTFT header is narrower than a ribbon cable. If you can peel off the Kapton tape and get a clear edge-on photo I could check out the alignment better, but I think this is going on:
align.jpg
align.jpg (51.97 KiB) Viewed 336 times

billjo

Post by billjo »

Alignment is correct, that was one of the first things I checked.

Bill

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

An edge-on photo would help for troubleshooting. The symptoms are consistent with off-by-one alignment (and photo, kinda, but I can't be sure unless straight-on).

If that's not it, we'll exchange the PiTFT & ribbon cable.

billjo

Post by billjo »

Here are the pictures you requested.
Attachments
IMG_0680.JPG
IMG_0680.JPG (84.37 KiB) Viewed 300 times
IMG_0679 [292238].JPG
IMG_0679 [292238].JPG (90.78 KiB) Viewed 300 times
IMG_0678.JPG
IMG_0678.JPG (94.13 KiB) Viewed 300 times

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”