Pics and Info of ongoing wearables project

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jdc928

Pics and Info of ongoing wearables project

Post by jdc928 »

Just thought I would share some pics of a wearables project I've been working on and hopefully inspire some people to make their own. These LED suits use almost all adafruit products and neo-pixel LEDs. We primarily wear these to large music festivals and at times we get more attention in the crowd then the DJ thats on stage. The current neo-pixel count is close to 400 per suit and each suit is using a combination of sensors to manipulate the LED patterns and displays.

Currently each suit has:
- Hacked NES PowerGlove controller (no longer used that often. Using custom gloves built from scratch now)
- Wireless RF transievers for suit pattern syncing
- A gyro/accelerometer in each hands glove
- Octet Mic for live audio spectrum analyzing
- Audio input for plug for analyzing audio split from any headphone jack
- Flora color sensor for swiping colors to use as pattern pallets (still a little buggy but decent)
- Finger flex sensors. (used in conjuction with hand gyro to create virtual spectrum analyzing of live music from hand gestures and movement)
- Multiple teensy boards (being replaced with single teensy 3.0 and rasberry pi)
- Various soft buttons using conductive thread through suit
- hall effect sensors for triggering special animations based on finger passing desired areas of the suit
- and a few other random sensors

I am ordering a pair of the Video Glasses today to test out the possibility of completely filling the helmet visor with the LEDS just like the top strip, and using a helmet mounted bullet cam to feed the view infront of me to the glasses so I can still see to walk around. (I think this may provide even a better view then what often becomes a slightly foggy visor).

Can't say how grateful I am for the LED libraries created by adafruit. My LED projects wouldn't be near as far along with out those libraries. Heres some pics:
Screenshot_2013-09-30-12-04-26-1.png
Screenshot_2013-09-30-12-04-26-1.png (720.55 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
Screenshot_2013-09-30-15-37-07-1.png
Screenshot_2013-09-30-15-37-07-1.png (679.52 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
1-helmet.jpg
1-helmet.jpg (186 KiB) Viewed 1126 times

hillis

Re: Pics and Info of ongoing wearables project

Post by hillis »

Do you have the code posted anywhere?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Pics and Info of ongoing wearables project

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

That is awesome!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”