Steam Punk Goggles with Trinket Pro?

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cameraready

Steam Punk Goggles with Trinket Pro?

Post by cameraready »

I was thinking about making this project but wondered if the Trinket Pro 3v would work in place of the Flora. https://learn.adafruit.com/steam-punk-goggles The Trinket Pro would cost less and might fit in a smaller package is my main idea.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Steam Punk Goggles with Trinket Pro?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Yes, the Trinket Pro should handle it just fine. Be sure to post a photo of your finished goggles!

michaelmeissner

Post by michaelmeissner »

If your power source is 5v (such as using batteries for charging phones with a USB plug) it is simpler to use a 5v processor instead of 3.3v.

If your power source is a 3.7v li-poly battery, then using a 3.3v processor might be simpler. Depending on the neopixel and how you wire things up, it might not work when you are powering the goggles via USB (typically when programming the goggles). There the solution, is to program the device, and then unplug the USB and plug in the li-poly battery to see the effect.

The issue is neopixels are spec'ed to run between 3.5 and 5.5 volts. If you are powering them via 5 volts, then they may not see the control signal if you are using a 3.3v processor. There are ways to level shift 3.3v to 5v for neopixels, but it is simpler if you don't have to do it. If you are powering them via 3.7v (from the li-poly battery), then a 3.3v signal should be handled. However, if you are powering neopixels at 3.7v, it may not be as color accurate as 5v.

Finally as somebody who has worn steampunk goggles in the past (though now I tend to use a single ring on a wooden bowtie), brightness can be an issue. I've had people complain that the goggles are too bright when I'm talking to them face to face (I use a maximum power level of 30). Also be aware that there are people affected by rapid changes of light (can trigger an epilepic seizure), so if you are wearing them in public, it is perhaps better to go with slower patterns.

cameraready

Post by cameraready »

I received my "Adafruit black" box with goodies the other day. I have things mostly setup but still need to make an enclosure to house the Trinket, LSM303 and battery. Right now I'm planning on using a 500mah LiPoly battery. I have a 3-AAA battery holder also but I like the compact size of the lipo. I soldered the LSM303 to the bottom of the Trinket along with a JST socket for the battery. The accelerometer is powered by the 3v pin and the NeoPixels are wired to the bat+ pin to give them the full voltage of the battery. My plan is to use some scrap wood to make a small box to hold everything to the elastic strap on the goggles. I adjusted the brightness down to 30 and with the tinting on the lenses it doesn't seem too bright. While it appears I can see through the lenses I'll probably attach the goggles to my top hat. I'll make sure to take some more pictures once I get it done. White craft foam also works to diffuse the NeoPixels but lowering the brightness should save battery life.
Goggles pic1
Goggles pic1
GogglesTest1.jpg (85.84 KiB) Viewed 854 times
Goggles pic2
Goggles pic2
GogglesTest2.jpg (74.83 KiB) Viewed 854 times
Goggles pic3
Goggles pic3
GogglesTest3.jpg (70.84 KiB) Viewed 854 times

adafruit_support_bill

Looking good! The lenses in the prototype goggles were quite a bit darker than the ones we carry in the store. But even at full brightness, I get 4-5 hours of run-time with a CR123 cell.

michaelmeissner

FWIW, last December we had a party, and afterwards, I decided to leave my steampunk goggles on to see how long the battery lasted. In that incarnation, I was using 2 16-LED rings, max power level was 30, a Gemma to run the rings (3.3v), and the Adafruit 1200 maH li-poly battery. In that configuration, the goggles ran for at least 24 hours, when I have to leave to go to work. When I came home at 36 hours after starting the rings, the battery had been depleted.

In terms of diffusing the LEDs, if you have access to a 3d printer locally, you can download this pattern from thingverse, and it can pop over the top of the 16 LED-ring, but note, it won't fit inside the normal goggles with the cover on: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:187684. You can also have it printed at a mail order place like thingways.com, but if you want it for this Halloween, it is too late. I printed it at shapeways.com for $5.19 per ring plus s/h. The piece was originally mentioned in this forum or the Glowy things forum over a year ago, but I didn't save a copy of the link to credit the author here.

michaelmeissner

Alternatively, somebody else mentioned these 48mm watchmaker cases are just the right size for the 16-LED rings (without the 3d printed covers I mentioned in the last post) if you wanted to make your own custom goggles some time in the future: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.a ... 48&p=44948.

cameraready

Post by cameraready »

I was able to get everything finished and working last night. I ended up building a small box out of scrap poplar and staining it. I added a couple strips of copper foil tape for effect but will need to come up with an easier way to access the battery for charging. When I have more time I might make another enclosure that resembles a miniature barrel.
Finished goggles
Finished goggles
SP_Goggles.jpg (157.73 KiB) Viewed 807 times

adafruit_support_bill

Cool! I like the copper 'straps' around your battery box. Thanks for posting.

michaelmeissner

Like Bill, I like the use of copper strips. I'll have to remember that for future builds.

In terms of the battery, since you are using the trinket pro, you probably want this backpack that is specifically designed for the 3.3v trinket pro. You solder it to the trinket pro, and it will charge the li-poly battery if the trinket pro is plugged into a USB power source. If you remove the USB, it powers it via the battery: https://www.adafruit.com/products/2124

cameraready

Post by cameraready »

I didn't realize the Trinket Pro backpack would charge the battery until after I placed my order. I'll definitely be getting one with my next order and integrating it into the project later.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”