Ultimate GPS vs Flora GPS

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gutsjet

Ultimate GPS vs Flora GPS

Post by gutsjet »

Hi,

I have the ultimate GPS module working on my arduino project but I was browsing adafruit's website and found the Flora GPS. Reading the tech details it says that it can support Vin of 3.0-5.5Vdc. I'm planning to power it from a 5V power supply but looking at the pictures I didn't see any voltage regulator on the board. Am I missing something? Also, if I can connect 5V to it, it will be in the 3.3V pin, right?

Last question, regarding the code, if I'm only using TX and RX pins of the ultimate GPS module, the code should work fine with the Flora, right?

As far as I understood reading the documentation both boards are pretty much the same (besides output pins and shape). I just want to make sure I can replace the ultimate GPS with Flora GPS in my project without much problem.

Thank you

Franklin97355

Re: Ultimate GPS vs Flora GPS

Post by Franklin97355 »

As far as I can tell it is 3.3v only but I will get back to you.

adafruit2

Re: Ultimate GPS vs Flora GPS

Post by adafruit2 »

so...technically...the GPS module has a LDO 3.3V regulator inside of it. So it is safe to give it 5V. the Ultimate GPS breakout has an extra regulator so that the enable pin is brought out, yadda yadda

For flora usage we recommend sticking with 3V power only, its safer for everyone, less likely to mix power rails!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”