Flora power options/combinations

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rayharwood

Flora power options/combinations

Post by rayharwood »

I'm designing a little box to 3D print, to house a Flora connected to a number of NeoPixel strips, along with a breadboard. I want to be able to power the whole box stand-alone with a 5V DC wall wart, yet still be able to safely plug into the USB for updating the code (multi-season lighting, for Halloween, then Thanksgiving, Christmas, St Patrick's Day, Fourth of July, etc.).

I've got the 5V feeding directly to the NeoPixel strip -- that's easy.

Can I safely run 5V into the JST battery connector on the Flora, and connect the USB from my PC for programming and testing -- WITH the 5V adapter connected? Or are there problems with both Battery and USB power at the same time?

Thanks!
-Ray

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Flora power options/combinations

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The best way is to wire up a USB connector from your power supply to power the Flora. You can unplug the power supply and replace it with your computer USB cable for programming. You can either sacrifice an old cable, or we have USB connectors in the store to make your own.

jpokorney

Post by jpokorney »

I have the same question regarding powering my Flora - you really didn't answer it in your response.

Can I safely run 5V into the JST battery connector on the Flora, and connect the USB from my PC for programming and testing -- WITH the 5V adapter connected? Or are there problems with both Battery and USB power at the same time?

adafruit_support_bill

The best way is to wire up a USB connector from your power supply to power the Flora. You can unplug the power supply and replace it with your computer USB cable for programming. It is not a good idea to have 2 regulated supplies fighting each other.

jpokorney

Post by jpokorney »

Thanks for clarifying. SO - to further clarify, I cannot print data via serial port when I am not using my computer to power Flora? Is that correct?

adafruit_support_bill

In most cases, it is probably OK for uploading code or a short diagnostic session. Just not a good idea to power it that way long-term.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”