Understanding Gemma Bootloader/Upload Sequence

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
aodhanloki

Re: Understanding Gemma Bootloader/Upload Sequence

Post by aodhanloki »

Tech,

I would recommend uninstalling all Arduino IDE stuff in Windows 8 and do a fresh extraction of the IDE from the "fast way". Even when I loaded the separate "fast way" extraction of the Arduino IDE that I installed in a completely different location, it still showed the other boards that I added to the other IDE the "slow way".

After you do that, start hitting the reset button on your Gemma to do the same sort of testing that I did to get a feel of how long it takes your Windows 8 installation to detect the Gemma. I would love to see the results of your system. It may be different, for all we know. Write down:

1) what you did to initiate bootloader (i.e. the reset button or unplugging the USB connector entirely)
2) how many seconds goes by before you hear the sound that indicates the detection
3) how many seconds goes by before your bootloader terminates (the red LED stops throbbing)

Do that for at least 10 tries.

If you find that your computer takes around 6 seconds, like mine does, you'll have to have some ninja timing skills in order to time when the code finishes compiling in the Arduino IDE and attempts to upload. As far as I can tell, you have to make sure that the upload starts happening very closely after the 6 second mark (when Windows recognizes it) because it seems like it takes at least the rest of the time that the bootloader is active to actually get the code on. I imagine the error is because it doesn't get to neatly button up the communication but the Gemma receives the code and enough of the handshake to still work.

Anyways... Please let me know how your system works.

-Matt

bcochran1

Post by bcochran1 »

It could be that you have a driver signing issue.

Have you tried this procedure:

http://mytechblog.com/tutorials/arduino ... windows-8/

Bob

aodhanloki

Post by aodhanloki »

The drivers that adafruit distributes are signed drivers now. They didn't have them for a bit, but they are now signed. I would just make sure you downloaded the signed drivers. Those are the ones I use when I get the issues I describe.

-Matt

technologygeek

Post by technologygeek »

Clearing out everything arduino and doing a clean install worked to get the IDE to show the trinket and gemma. I had device manager open and I watched where it was displaying "USBtiny" It appears to lose USBtiny when it goes into bootloader and USBtiny reappears after bootloader finishes. I will try to do some timing so I can report my results.

bcochran1

Post by bcochran1 »

It seems to me that if you had multiple installations of Arduino versions, these were corrupting the contents of your sketchbook path and your preferences.txt file.

You should be able to change the sketchbook path which is listed in preferences.txt. If you have a different path for each Arduino version, that helps stop conflicts and possibly lost data.

Code: Select all

sketchbook.path=your/sketchbook/path
Bob

[/color][/size]

aodhanloki

Post by aodhanloki »

** wonders where adafruit engineers are on my timeout question? **

lisad

Post by lisad »

I was so glad I found this thread. I just started using a Trinket with Windows 8. I did the "fast way" install of the IDE and this Trinket is the only device I am using. At first I thought my system was forgetting the driver because whenever I plugged it in it did not recognize the device, but I finally figured out that all I needed to do was hit reset and then the trinket showed up in my devices. When I started uploading, I too noticed that the trinket disappears from the devices when I pressed reset and it does take about 6 seconds for it to reappear. If I try the upload before it reappears I get an error message.

For now, I have to leave the device window open and watch for it to reappear and then upload quickly before the trinket times out. I am just starting out with it, so the programs are small, but I worry as they get larger the trinket will time out before the upload finishes (unless once the upload starts it will let it finish regardless of time?)

Anyway, just wanted to thank you for your post...I was getting frustrated not knowing what was happening...even if there isn't a solution yet, at least I understand what's happening.

aodhanloki

Post by aodhanloki »

You're welcome, Lisa!

I'm honestly kind of surprised that the engineers haven't responded.. Makes me sad on the inside. I guess it's ok as long as this helps other people. Hopefully the product will be made better in the future as a result of this, too.

-Matt

AlanCM

Post by AlanCM »

Thanks to all for the very helpful discussion. At least I'll have company when Win. 8.1 and Gemma drive me mad.

Has anyone an answer for Lisa's question: "....... I am just starting out with it, so the programs are small, but I worry as they get larger the trinket will time out before the upload finishes (unless once the upload starts it will let it finish regardless of time?)" I want to edit the code. How much room for code does Gemma have?

Best,
Alan

aodhanloki

Post by aodhanloki »

Alan,
I have only been using very small scripts. I have not run into the sort of time out that Lisa is worried about. I also wonder if others are having that problem. Do let us know if you run into it!

-Matt

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”