Flora (original) has serious issues - ONE SOLVED

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rain12cat

Flora (original) has serious issues - ONE SOLVED

Post by rain12cat »

Unless you are using a Mac, my advice is don't bother with Flora. Even on a Mac, it has some issues. On Windows 8.1 or Linux Mint 17.1 I could not get the board recognized at all. I tried! I jumped through a lot of hoops following forum advice and blog advice. I have the drivers installed on Windows. I have the systems recognizing USB ports. I have the Boards Manager recognizing that Flora is a board. I know because both the Windows and Linux systems will easily and consistently upload to an Arduino uno, Arduino micro, Arduino Lilypad USB, and a Sparkfun Redboard. I am trying this with Arduino IDE 1.6.4 in all cases. (Because trying other IDEs got no better results).

I understand that there are a lot of operating systems out there and it can be tough to make everything compatible with everything. But arduino is finding a way to do it... This suggests to me that there is something inherently wrong with Flora if it will not play well with the operating systems offered, even after the hoop-jumping.

I hope that many of these issues are fixed with the new Flora v.2 but I will not buy one until I see evidence that it does function consistently.

Part of why this is so frustrating is because Flora has great potential! I love the layout of the pins, and the fact that it has more than 1 3.3v and GND pin so that you could sew in multiple things without crossing your threads. I hope that future versions of this will be a great product. Sadly, the mac that I was using is on its last legs and Flora is not even usable on my dual-booted replacement machine.
Last edited by rain12cat on Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Flora (original) has serious issues

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

We have not seen problems such as you describe with Flora. Have you tried different USB cables, different USB ports, and connecting through a self-powered hub? The Flora is essentially the same thing as a Leonardo or a Micro. Just the form-factor is different.

rain12cat

Re: Flora (original) has serious issues

Post by rain12cat »

PROBLEM SOLVED - no thanks to these forums.

A million billion thanks to this site http://jjmz.free.fr/?p=238 and the author's discovery that there is a simple fix for the error "can't open device "/dev/ttyACM0": Device or resource busy."

Solution is to open terminal and type:

$ sudo apt-get purge modemmanager

Then restart Arduino IDE.

This fixed the issue with not being able to upload to Flora in Arduino IDE 1.6.4 on Linux Mint 17.1.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”