First time Trinket help

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
FunN4Lo

First time Trinket help

Post by FunN4Lo »

I just received the trinket and NeoPixel rings. This is my first time working with any of this, and my first steps are not going according to directions. I am following this page
https://learn.adafruit.com/usbtinyisp/drivers

I have Win8.1. I downloaded the drivers and extracted
When I plug in the Trinket, I get an installing device message for a few seconds. It goes away but the hardware wizard does not automatically start. I went into Device manager to install drivers. I pointed to my driver location. But I get the attached screenshot error. Looking for what to do next
Attachments
Trinket error.JPG
Trinket error.JPG (34.14 KiB) Viewed 426 times

James_Purcell

Re: First time Trinket help

Post by James_Purcell »

Try right clicking on the device in device manager the search for drivers they point to the folder the driver is in.

FunN4Lo

Post by FunN4Lo »

James_Purcell wrote:Try right clicking on the device in device manager the search for drivers they point to the folder the driver is in.
That's what I did to get the warning above

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Apparently, t Trinket is not identifying itself properly on connection to your computer.
Try using a different USB cable. (It is surprising how many bad ones there are out there)
If that doesn't help, please contact [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement trinket.

James_Purcell

Post by James_Purcell »

Have you got any more warning triangles?

FunN4Lo

Post by FunN4Lo »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:Apparently, t Trinket is not identifying itself properly on connection to your computer.
Try using a different USB cable. (It is surprising how many bad ones there are out there)
If that doesn't help, please contact [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement trinket.
I know my USB cable transmits data. I use it on my GoPro and my Taranis RC transmitter. I can transfer files on both devices to/from the SD card and computer. I will, however, try another cable before I contact support.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I know my USB cable transmits data.
Many cables will work for some applications and not others. Sometimes it is the cable itself. Other times it is marginal contacts in the connectors. They will mate better with some plugs than others.

FunN4Lo

Post by FunN4Lo »

With the holiday, it has been a few days for me to get back too this. But I changed cables and everything appears to work. I got Blink to work on the Trinket. Now on to seeing if I can make some neopixel rings work

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”