Trinket USB Volume Knob stops responding randomly

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
treah

Trinket USB Volume Knob stops responding randomly

Post by treah »

So I bought the trinket for the sole purpose of using it as a dedicated volume knob installed into my new keyboard that doesnt have a knob (a FN function plus up and down buttons, takes to long and to quickly adjust volume). I have everything completed but there is a problem. The trinket works great if I keep using it but if I dont adjust volume after a period of time (10, 30, 60mins etc) it just stops responding and I have to cut power to it and boot it back up, which takes forever cause of bootloader.

My setup is a Coolermaster Quickfire TK, with the trinket installed inside to a mini USB hub, The hub has the trinket and keyboard attached and the then connects to the computer. The Trinket also had the problem when it was connected straight to the computer.

Is there a way to quickly program something like a ping to the computer to keep the connection alive or what would you say the issue is? This problem really defeats the purpose of all my work and investment and is becoming really upsetting.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Trinket USB Volume Knob stops responding randomly

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Post some photos of your wiring and the code you are using and we'll see if we can spot the problem.

treah

Post by treah »

Wiring and code is exactly the same as this tutorial-
https://learn.adafruit.com/trinket-usb- ... ute-button

adafruit_support_bill

Post some photos of your wiring

treah

Post by treah »

The trinket is wrapped in high grade heat shrink and is encased in the keyboard. If you have a valid reason to suspect it being a wire issue let me know. However I know it is not a loose wire or a faulty connection. I can take pictures of how it is wired to the USB hub and to the Rotary dial. But I am 98% sure this is a trinket-windows issue.
its a lof of work to cut off my The keyboard I have hard wired to the USB hub works without flaw. I am just new to interfacing windows with a programmable usb device.

I asked for help so if you truly think I still need to cut my heat shrink off I will. Im not trying to be a butt, you just know how it is if you close everything up for protection then have to open it again.

adafruit_support_bill

I have not hear of any symptoms such as you describe. 99% of intermittent problems that we see are due to intermittent connections of one kind or another.

treah

Post by treah »

Ok I will take a look into the wiring and take pictures while im in there as well.

Funman1

Post by Funman1 »

I would guess the USB hub is creating issues.
Can you plug directly into your PC with no hub and test for several hours?

treah

Post by treah »

Ive done that. I tested it for a few days before I even had the hub in. The hub will be replaced tonight though, I blew it up when I was rewiring the trinket for better thicker connection and to take pictures. Also remember the keyboard is attached to the hub as well and it had zero problems.

But let me see how it reacts tonight with a new hub installed. I also havent mentioned that I am running windows 8.1 pro.

Ok, hooked it straight to the computer and I get the same issue. Replaced the HUB, same issue. Replaced the wiring, same issue.

Here are some photos of the wiring.

treah

Post by treah »

Bump.

Sorry for the larger than life pictures

treah

Post by treah »

Any input? Still having the problem. Would like just a bit of code to somehow ping the computer every minute. Even if it turning the volume up then back down one spot would be great.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

we suggest trying to use a 5V trinket, and make sure the stuff connected to the 3V (or 5V) pin isnt drawing too much current.

treah

Post by treah »

5v trinket, same issues as before. Is someone able to provide me with sample code to just answer my first question? Even if it is turning the volume up and down one click every 5 mins. Ive tried everything everyone has suggested and then some, only to be given the run around with buying more product.

adafruit_support_bill

We don't know of anything that would cause the symptoms you describe. If you are not satisfied with the product, please contact [email protected] with a link to this thread for a refund.

treah

Post by treah »

I have already implemented these in my projects, so it is not only the trinkets that have been modified, etc so returning them also defeats the purpose.

Am I really asking to much for a snipet of code to increase and decrease the volume by 1 every 5 mins? Even if that doesnt work at least I feel like this community cares even to try, instead of doing everything they can to make sure my question doesn't get answered.

Im not trying to come off as ungrateful but if you look at it from my side its just seems like everyone is like "he isnt using it right, its his fault, fix it and itll work", instead of trying out my request to see if IM onto something.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”