5v Pro Trinket: Possible To Hook Up Ultimate GPS & NRF24L01?

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
M2com

5v Pro Trinket: Possible To Hook Up Ultimate GPS & NRF24L01?

Post by M2com »

I am wanting to hook up the Adafruit Ultimate GPS and one NRF24L01+PA+LNA SMA Antenna Wireless Transceiver 2.4G to the Adafruit 5v Pro Trinket board. The Trinket will be transmitting the GPS data once or twice a second to another Pro Trinket with the same Transceiver minus the GPS unit.

I've researched around quite a bit and it seems that the only problem (I will have external power for the GPS board) is that the NRF24L01 also requires a TX and RX pin. Am I right? If so, the GPS unit will have taken that those pins up. Is there a way around this or am I not understanding the NRF24L01 pinout?

Thanks in advance! I am pretty new to Arduinos.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: 5v Pro Trinket: Possible To Hook Up Ultimate GPS & NRF24

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

You can use Software Serial for the GPS. Does the NRF24L01 use software serial or hardware serial?

M2com

Post by M2com »

I'm not sure how to determine whether it uses software serial or not but I am guessing hardware serial. This is the pinout: http://avrproject.ru/nrf24l01/pinout_nrf24l01.jpg

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

OK, that's not serial at all. It's SPI. So you can connect that to the SPI pins on the Pro Trinket and you can connect the GPS to a different pair of pins for software serial. There's no conflict.

The SPI pins are the same on the Pro Trinket as they are on an Arduino Uno, so you can follow the manufacturer's guidance on connecting pins.

M2com

Post by M2com »

Great, thanks very much! I appreciate it!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”