Simple Jig for Reloading Trinket Bootloader (Pictures)
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Simple Jig for Reloading Trinket Bootloader (Pictures)

by mrburnette on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:34 am

IMG477a.jpg
Trinket to DIP pin matching
IMG477a.jpg (64.57 KiB) Viewed 903 times

IMG479a.jpg
Side view
IMG479a.jpg (37.13 KiB) Viewed 903 times

IMG478a.jpg
These are the AVR-ISP connections for your programmer
IMG478a.jpg (110.04 KiB) Viewed 903 times

This is my simple jig that I use with my ISP programmer to reflash the Trinket bootloader. I thought it may be helpful for others.

When the Trinket is viewed inverted, the connections follow a standard tiny85 DIP with physical pins #1 and #8 most distant from USB connector. See pix (right-click and select open in new tab.)

Cut the foam wide enough to create significant expansion in the width of the pins when inserted into the protoboard. Then squeeze to slide the Trinket onto the pins. Move vertically a few times to ensure a good electrical connections. Now use jumper wires to your AVR-ISP programmer or ArduinoISP.

Ray

High Resolution Images:
Parts:

Side view:

Top view showing ISP connections:
mrburnette

Re: Simple Jig for Reloading Trinket Bootloader (Pictures)

by vanstrien on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:42 am

Have you had any problem with the Trinket sitting well on the pins and getting good contact?

I had to reflash my Trinket last week and the only way to get a good connection was to bend the wires through the holes. Sitting on headers gave wildly inconsistent results.
vanstrien

Re: Simple Jig for Reloading Trinket Bootloader (Pictures)

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:42 am

Just setting a digital device on pin header is a reliable way to generate headaches, but not to transmit data.

The clever bit in the jig shown above is the piece of foam that acts as a spring, pressing the pin headers against the Trinket's connection holes. There still may be edge cases where one pin in the middle doesn't make contact, but overall it's a great example of field-effective design.
When you void a product warranty, you give up your right to sue the manufacturer if something goes wrong and accept full responsibility for whatever happens next. And then you truly own the product.
adafruit_support_mike